View Single Post
Old 04-02-2002, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974

From my understanding, BGLO's (I am not sure about WGLO's therefore I won't comment on them) are founded upon and grounded with Christian principles, although a prospective members may not(whether Christian or not). Maybe this is the same approach the new MCGLO @ 'Bama is trying to for.

I have ran across sororities and fraternities for gay/lesbians students as well. Would you consider these to be another form of bigotry as well?
I think what Barbara was saying is that a "multicultural sorority" is an organization that is suppose to be for all women, regardless of race or religion. If this multicultural sorority that Twilley is starting at Alabama is Christian-based, then it does sound a little hypocritical. (I honestly don't know if it's been touted as a Christian-based group or not.) I would think that a truly multicultural organization would not be based on any one religion.

As for the gay/lesbian groups, I think there is a big difference between gay/lesbian groups and multicultural groups. Although gay/lesbian groups' main focus is to provide a comfortable environment for gays and lesbians, they do allow heterosexual people committed to supporting gay/lesbian interests to join.

Since a multicultural organization's main purpose is to make people of all cultural backgrounds feel comfortable and welcome -- not just one specific group of people with one specific type of background -- then it seems strange that it would be founded primarily on one specific type of religion. Therefore, I can see where Barbara would find "Christian-based, multicultural sorority" to be a rather contradictory term.

Last edited by dzrose93; 04-02-2002 at 03:54 PM.