View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Cool UNCG Recruitment

My freshman year at UNC-Greensboro I remember walking down College Ave. on the first day of classes in the fall of 2004 and all the sororities and fraternities had booths set up. I mentioned to a friend of mine that I didn't want to rush this semester because I wanted to get settled into college life and have myself established before I joined a sorority. I was sure I was going to rush the following semester.

Greek like isn't too competative at UNCG. Greek life was banned until the mid 1980s. We have 5 NPC sororities chartered on campus, all of whom participated in recruitment. They are:

Alpha Delta Pi
Phi Mu
Alpha Chi Omega
Chi Omega
Sigma Sigma Sigma

That spring informal recruitment was held by each organization. I attended every party for Chi Omega, two for Phi Mu, and one for Tri-Sigma. I never heard anything back, but I wasn't too disappointed. I really just went out to see what sororities were like. My sister, who went through formal recruitment at Western Carolina U and joined Alpha Gamma Delta told me that informal recruitment is a lot different than formal recruitment. So, I decided to go through formal recruitment the following fall. This, of course, gave me ample time to prepare to make the best possible impression on each organization.

I spent that entire summer preparing. I researched every organization on my campus. I knew where, and what year each organization was founded. I knew each one's mascot, open motto, colors, philanthropy, original founding principles. I seriously, knew it all. I researched the placement statistics for my campus and knew that there was a very small chance that I would not be placed somewhere. I even estimated that each pledge class would be 15-20 members large if 100 girls went through and finished recruitment. I read every book I could find on sororities and did ample online research to prepare myself for the process.

My whole goal in becoming a part of greek life was that I wanted to leave a legacy somewhere. I didn't want to be one of those kids that spent four years in college and then just left. I wanted to leave something behind. I wanted to be apart of something larger than myself. A sorority seemed like the way to go.

Last edited by AlwaysSAI; 06-06-2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: addition of details