View Single Post
Old 08-09-2001, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000:
Quote:
Originally posted by suntzu1963:
FYI: I believe (not 100% sure though) that all greek orgs. tend to ascend towards incorporation but not all use the "inc" in their names.
I am a lawyer and, yes, you are correct. As stated in other threads on the topic, there are legal reasons why one may want to incorporate their organization. The tax code pus fraternal organizations in a different classification for tax purposes. That alone is a good enough reason. Also the incorporation makes the organization its own legal entity, able to act and be sued in its name and not in its members name. It affords each member protection from personal legal liability f. It will continue until dissolution regardless of the passing of its creators. I, too, would suspect all national fraternities and sororities would be incorporated. It is part of their legal name and I would be shocked if there are members who do not know for sure if their org is incorporated. There is a reason that the passage quoted mentioned when use of the term is legally required. Believe me there are such circumstances.

As to why BGLO's emphasize it- why does it matter? It is our legal name and we can say it however we want, reason or no.

BTW- Incorporation does not generally prevent anything about the org from being changed. It can be renamed, dissolved etc. as long as it is done in accordance with whatever procedure is laid out in the articles of incorporation.

The emphasis is a matter of pride and a matter of history. However, I do not equate the emphasis of the word with pride in my Black heritage, just pride in my organization's heritage. I do not see how that would translate t other orgs who did not have the same struggle towards incorporation. I am not sure how you see that as pride in theri Black heritage unless thay ar saluting the accomplishments of the other fraternities and Sororities that were not White and incorporated on their own. Other orgs who do it may have their own reason, they may not. I do suspect some (not all but some) do it because they heard NPHC orgs do it. So be it.

(Hope the tone is not too grumpy, work is kicking my a$$ today)

------------------
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.
Baltimore Metropolitan Alumnae Chapter
#3 of ER 30
Spring 1999

"No finer girls will you ever see, and I'm so glad I pledged- for what?
For DST!"