View Single Post
Old 09-08-2000, 06:40 PM

Wink

Dressing for rush can be compared to dressing for a job interview. When I interviewed for my job, I wore a conservative suit. Now that I'm here, I can dress a little funkier (which is one of the things I like about my job). The advice not to wear something "weird" I don't think negates being yourself.

Example: Suzy dresses in vintage clothes 24/7. She looks infinitely better than the women who go out and blow thousands of dollars on Rodeo Drive. Does that mean Suzy should go to Ann Taylor, and get the standard sundress? No, it means wear the thing from YOUR closet that best fits the occasion. If you can carry off unique clothing with grace and style - and by age 18-19 you should know if you can - you will make a positive impression.

But if you go in wearing electric blue spandex pants (true story - we had a rushee who did) and have a "if they can't see all the wonderfulness inside me, then screw them" attitude, you will make a negative impression. That is being very passive-aggressive. There is a difference between celebrating your uniqueness, and being defensive about it and shoving it in people's faces.

As far as buying clothes for rush, remember that nowadays not everyone is a regular churchgoer, or has a lot of dressy clothes. EVERYONE should have a simple, classic dress or 2 - in a cut that is flattering to you - by the time you're in college. That way you'll be set for rush, job interview, weddings you'll be attending, etc. Don't go buy a whole new wardrobe if you don't need it, but if you have to buy things anyway, simple, classic, well made is the way to go.