View Single Post
Old 09-08-2000, 01:34 PM

Smile

Okay, this is REALLY LONG!!!

More advice, since not every one has started yet & some of ya’ll have crazy rushes that last for weeks. I agree with most of what has been said so far. But more advice doesn’t usually hurt.

***Disclaimer—all the advice we give is really best suited at rush for our own schools or possibly the region that the school is in. Southern rush & Western rush are really at two ends of the scale.

For the best universal advice search for everything PnguinTrax has written on the topic. She knows her stuff, and it’s all been checked by the NPC.

+++BEFORE RUSH+++
Do some self evaluation.

Write down all the reasons that you want to be in a sorority. Be honest with yourself! Include the superficial and the deep reasons.

Write down all the experiences that you want to get out of a sorority. Once again honesty is key.

After doing that, ask yourself if you really want to do this right now. Unless it’s a firm no, go through rush. The night before Pref, and immediately after, ask yourself again. If you have doubts at this point, talk to your Rho Chi. It’s what she’s there for.

+++WHAT TO WEAR+++
I disagree with the advice to wear what you see the members wearing. Unless that’s what you already like and want to wear. I also disagree that sororities want girls who will fit in, not stick out. My sorority is not looking for clones. We’re looking for girls that people notice. Why have members that blend into the crowd when one stand out can get a lot more attention for your chapter? Yeah we want girls that will get along and click personality wise. But image wise- if a girl dresses uniquely it shows me that she has a lot of self confidence.

Dress like yourself & be sure that you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. I do agree with the advice to go with the dressier option if given a range. When in doubt, ask the Rho Chi.

+++HOW TO CHOOSE+++
It’s been said a million times: most girls “just know”. But if that feeling doesn’t just come to you… there are other ways.

When I went through rush the house I ended up in was 1st in my heart but #2 in my head. The house that was 2nd in my heart was #1 in my head. I was completely torn up by this.
With ABC (not my house) I had great conversation. It ran the gambit from touching & heart felt to totally random. I was completely nervous during the parties and completely impressed by the girls. I balled my eyes out during Pref. I knew that if I joined them I could be friends with them, and they were just like I wanted to be.
With XYZ (my house) I had good conversation that was kept mainly to the sorority. I was very calm during all the parties, including Pref. I knew that if I joined them I’d be friends with these girls, and they were already like me. But the thing that really showed me the way was that I knew that I could be friends with these girls even if I didn’t join. I somehow knew that if I hadn’t rushed ABC I probably never would have talked to any of them. But the XYZs were girls that I would start a conversation with in class.

So follow your heart! Pick the house that you already are similar to, not what you want to be molded into. Pick the house that you would have been friends with anyways.