View Single Post
Old 07-18-2000, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

southern_theta,

well-said girl! bravo on such a great post! i just have a few things that might be useful as well:

if you're interested in a particular house (esp. if you're a legacy for that house), read up on it! do your research and find out what you like about that sorority. maybe thier philanthropy is something you feel very strongly about. finding that out and letting the girls in that house know before hand can really affect your standing with the girls.

see what qualities you have that match the qualities and personalities of the girls whose houses you're rushing. simply put, find out who you'd click with. don't waste your time courting the girls that have the best house, the nicest clothes or the best fraternity to hang with, if you're not going to necesarily(sp) get along with them. they can smell a poser a mile away.

some other things that i know my ladies look for in rushees are :

~*~if they're mingling with other rushees and how they get along with them. (shows group involvment)
~*~if they're migrating to one sister, or trying to meet them all.
~*~if they know anything about the sorority ahead of time (if they took time to do research)
~*~if they take the time to see the displays we've put up. usually we put up pictures of sisters, big sis/little sis gifts (that can be displayed publicly) and information about our philanthropy.
~*~what thier reasons are for coming in the first place (if they REALLY want to be there, of if thier roommate made them come with them...although sometimes you can find a good pledge or two in this category)
~*~answers to group questions such as "why are you here tonight?", "what do you think you could bring to this organization?", "where do you see yourself fitting in with this group?" and things like that.

rush is different everywhere, and southern_theta did a great job of really summarizing a lot of common traits. above all else, BE YOURSELF! any sorority with brains can tell if you're putting up a front to try and get in. of course, if you DO bypass that and happen to get a bid, they'll see your "true self" sooner or later and it's just a big mess...better to be yourself the first time around! good luck! i'd like to extend the invitation to answer questions as well as southern_theta...i'm sure we both have different perspectives on this topic!

etienne
sigma alpha iota-the hartt school of music

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats