View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I still think you should primarily look at other houses...for example, we cut a guy in the spring semester rush last year. Many of his friends were given bids as spring pledges. They encouraged him to come out again, got him excited for a second semester in a row...but as soon as his picture came up for discussion, no matter what his friends said many of the actives remembered cutting him last year and they could not raise up the required votes to save him from being cut on the first night. Especially if you were the guy who called them to see where the parties were, that will make you stand out in their minds.

If they are being persistent next semester and are still really encouraging you to come out, then go out and see what's what. But also get excited about other options. A lot of fraternity rush, since the guidelines for cuts and discussion are so much more relaxed than sororities, is unfortunately based on house pride and many times a house will turn down a guy who is re-rushing just because they had cut him before. It's an unfortunate situation but there is no campus on earth where there is only one fraternity worth rushing, so definitely explore other options and get excited for them.

Oh, and for rush being so stressful the next time being an excuse? Fraternity rush is extremely less stressful than sorority rush...you are casually meeting new people and enjoying fun activities. I hate to sound rude, but I'm of the school where if meeting new people is that stressful and scary, then Greek life in general is probably not the place for you (at least fraternities, I understand that sorority rush can be far more intimidating). Suck it up and have fun, don't stress.