View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 04:31 PM

Each semester, take a walk around campus before the first day of classes, and locate all the lecture halls and classrooms where your classes will meet. That way, you won't waste time on your first day trying to find an out-of-the-way room and end up walking in late.

Pay attention in class. Don't nap, chat on your cell phone, or surf the web. Don't arrive late or leave early if you can help it. It's amazing how much you can pick up just by listening and taking notes in lecture.

Do your homework ahead of time. Don't try to do it all the night before it's due; you'll stay up to the wee hours (or all night), you'll be too tired to do it properly, and you'll be too tired to concentrate in class the next day.

If you have opportunities available to you, such as cross-registration or study abroad, take advantage of them.

Try to make room for a "fun" class outside your major now and then - maybe a music or art class.

Get involved in a couple of different activities. Don't overextend yourself, but don't just sit in your room either.

Exercise. Find out where the gym, track, and pool are, and use them! It's great stress relief and will help with the Freshman 15.

Learn to cook. If you have a kitchen available to you, great - get a couple of pots and pans and learn a few simple recipes. If not, get a small microwave and/or hot plate (check first that your dorm's rules allow it). Cafeteria food, as a rule, sucks.

As for credit cards, they're not necessarily the devil IF you know how to use them properly. If you do choose to get a credit card, pay it off in full every month. Don't buy something if you know it means you won't be able to pay your credit card bill. You'll be establishing a good credit rating, and you won't accrue revolving debt.