View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

The "go to class" vs. "read the textbook" advice varies by school and type of class. My "read the book" advice was based on huge state-school lecture classes with 500 students held in a giant auditorium. Hell, Accounting 101 was broadcast to over 1000 students via TVs in classrooms, and a bored grad student was there with us only to operate the TV and give out the handouts. Actual attendence at these huge classes was not 100% necessary, as long as you went to the first class to get the syllubus, did all the exercises, read the book carefully, and popped in occassionally to be sure the syllubus hadn't changed.

On the other hand, higher-level classes in my major and smaller, discussion-driven classes required regular, prompt attendance, preparation, and participation. Some of these were far more dependent on lectures vs. text. So it depends.

Also, on studying abroad, did I mention do it, do it, do it, do it. Find out the ins and outs right away. Ask upperclassmen about the best programs, find out the requirements and the costs, get on the list. My friends (none of whom had any money) say it's the best thing they ever did, and the best memories of their lives.

And something no one has mentioned. If you're at a Big 10, PAC-10 or SEC school and you've got a graduation requirement you just can't handle, find out when the football or basketball team takes the class that's tripping you up. I flunked Calculus twice (even with intense study, tutors, the works) and was facing the prospect of no diploma. Found out that the Team took it at night, and finagled my way into that class. I kid you not, the tests were all True/False, and the grades were curved so that a 51% was a D. I still don't have the foggiest idea what the hell a derivative is or how to figure the area under a damned curve, but I passed with a "D" an was able to graduate. God bless boneheaded football players and that pesky "student athlete" myth!!!