View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
+To repeat this, because it is damned important...GO. TO. CLASS. Period. Even if your grades are not stellar, you will almost ALWAYS get brownie points on attendance/participation if you are just there, taking up space! (note, slightly more important at a small/mid sized school than a large one where there are 500 people in a lecture hall...nothing can prepare you for an entire 20 person lecture class plus professor showing up at your dorm door wondering why you aren't in class).

+PARTICIPATE! Make yourself heard. This also reinforces your name to the professor and shows that you still have a pulse and have something to say on the topic at hand. Again, those brownie points for demonstrated knowledge add up!

+ Don't put it off, DO IT. If you've got a longer assignment, break it up into smaller pieces. Use a wall calendar to plan it out. Write post-its or signs to yourself if you need to. Just do it. Even though it looks like this :

+If it doesn't have your initials on it, it is fair game.

+ Establish an "alone time" signal with your roommate. This comes in handy in so many situations.

+Get a good alarm clock with battery back up and dual alarms. Make sure it is loud.
Phoenix, I love your drawing. By the way, can I add something that I kind of learned the hard way this past year? I just want to say, you (GENERAL you, as in "hey all you future first years/rushees!") should pick and choose what activities you do. Trying to pack in, say, choir, student government, and multiple volunteer commitments AND take extra classes all at once, is really not a good idea. So, it's okay to say "no," once in a while, it's okay to think, "All right, it says in the syllabus that we need to take Underwater Basket Weaving, but I don't really have room for it this semester, so it can wait," and it's okay not to feel guilty about it. I'm not really sure how well I'll be able to follow my own advice this coming year, though, so if someone could remind me about what I said later on, when I've stupidly said "yes" to one too many people, then that'd be awesome.