Thread: NPC expansion
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down Supply-Demand Model

I have to disagree with some statements in here that a simple supply/demand model is accurate to describing a recruitment situation.

Sometimes a new group is exactly what is needed to stimulate expansion of the system in general. New blood, new ideas have the potential to revitalize the system.

By adding another group you may indeed be increasing demand. Many IFC/Panhel groups sit on their cans and simply expect people to come to them... Which they do but in small numbers. If the groups would take a different approach and recruit individuals for rush I think the story could be very different.

I've seen it work the other way. When Sigma Nu and PKA colonized and formed chapters at UCO *MANY* more men are now going through rush than before. The Greek System has grown significantly and I'd say there's even enough room for us to keep expanding. (that's 2 groups that joined IFC, not just one)

It is not necessarily true that one house will falter as another picks up steam. Usually a house that is suffering is doing so because of their own faults. They need to either seek help to correct these issues or go dormant.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma