View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is a very honorable intention to start a women's organization, but there are national sisterhood groups out there that don't fall into the traditional social sorority scene that your campus currently prohibits. Why not look at one of these instead? You can possibly receive student gov't funding and university recognition, as well as traditional, history and guidance from alumnae members.

Some friendly advice: You're in school to get an education. Please remember that. Too many people allow the running of their organization to consume their lives. It is a great thing to be involved in an activity, but that's not going to do much for you when it comes time to apply to grad school or get a job if you barely scraped by with the bare minimum GPA and no internships or networking contacts. A sorority can "help" with the networking, but it doesn't guarantee you an interview or a job.

While I whole-heartedly endorse joining locals, I don't recommend starting a local. It is a lot of work, and you have no guidance or assurance to fall back on if something goes wrong with the group, or if something happens to endanger the group. A local that has more history has alumnae support and its history to guide it. A national that is just colonizing has local and national alumnae support to guide it, as well as the history. But I think, after reading "Rush at UCSC," you should think twice about taking on this task. 4 years goes by very quickly-- take advantage of the campus resources that will help you move into a career.

A sorority, local or national, will help you develop excellent planning and interview skills, poise and self-discipline, as well as teach you how to work well with women. But starting one is a huge endeavor.