View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Make them complete a set number of community service hours before semester's end (every hour of work/spirit week missed is an hour to make up doing a service project)

Assisting at new member education sessions and new member retreat

Give a membership workshop to the chapter on time management and prioritization

Organize study files and track study hours for the Academic Chairman

Social Probation. One day=one week. For every day of work week missed, they may not attend a week of social mixers. If they miss all of work week, they may not attend your fall date function.

If these sound harsh, that's your opinion. I understand many members have to miss work week, but you know what? I supported myself through undergrad working multiple part-time jobs (parents didn't provide any support financially) and still managed to be an active member of the sorority. I didn't miss spirit week because I told my employers ahead of time that I would need the time off. I worked as a waitress, at a retail clothing store, nanny, etc. It's all about being responsible and setting priorities.

Make sure to set deadlines and assign a penalty for failure to complete within the timeline. Put across in writing their penalty and get them to sign a contract which expresses they understand their assignment.

I do feel study abroad or those doing a summer internship should receive an exemption of sorts-- they are furthering their education and experience for their future career, whereas those who are waitressing know better and should get their requests into management months in advance. Or, if the management won't budge, see if they'll donate a meal to the chapter in exchange for a few of their wait-staff (your sisters) being allowed to work that week.

It may sound like I'm nuts, but retailers and restaurants in college towns know what recruitment is. They go through this every year with multiple time off requests and trying to fill the schedule. And they want to work with the Greeks-- we have money and frequent (or can boycott) their establishments... and a lot of times these owners are alumni or Greeks themselves.