View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

An Expansion Story

I’ve got to say, I LOVE reading the recruitment threads on GC. However, I didn’t go through anything like this. My local chapter became nationally affiliated last year. I know my user name plainly states my GLO so there’s no surprise element, but I think I have an interesting story anyway.

In May (2006) of my freshman year, I got a MySpace message from a junior at my school. It read, “Hello! This myspace profile is the beginning of a club that knows no end. In this preliminary process there are many leadership opportunities available and we are completely open to suggestion. Please check us out and tell us if you have any questions or are interested in becoming a member!” This message came from our first president, Yvette. We chatted a bit about this club, and I decided I wanted to get more active on campus. I was at the end of a long relationship so I really felt like I needed to get out there and meet people.

We chatted a bit over the summer, and in September, I found out that it was going to be a sorority named Alpha Sigma Delta. With the president and VP, we started our first recruitment at the club fair on campus. We had rush week and basically did COB for the rest of the quarter. Our rituals and symbols were temporary and flexible, because we had one goal: go national.