View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, those in the know, but isn't it pretty common for colonies to take (absorb) all or part of local sororities? I would think it's no big deal at all, and could be a selling point - already involved on campus, etc. I say give it a shot. The worst that can happen is they turn you down, but I don't see any particular reason why they wouldn't accept you based on your previous local sorority membership. However, that doesn't mean they WILL, just that what you've said doesn't seem to be a disqualifier as far as I can tell.
DubaiSis, I would not say that it is common at the present time, although that may have been a fairly common practice in the past. To my knowledge, with only one "exception", all the colonizations I've read of or learned about have been "from the ground up" with the national chapter coming in and recruiting an entire new class/group of members.

My opinion tends to run along the same lines as Always AlphaGam's opinion, but the OP certainly is welcome to try, as you also suggested. I do see many negatives coming from the OP's previous involvement in a local sorority, and not many positives. That's just my opinion.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity