View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
ehhhh....it depends.

It depends on why you own the horse. One of my uncles, and some of my family on my dad's fathers' side have horses. They live in the "country", as we call it, on a family farm.

They have horses not to show as an equestrienne, but to work the land on their farms.

So, owning horses does not always equate to privilege (meaning wealthy) when you depend on those horses for your day-to-day living.
Many, many of the members of an equestrian team do not own their own horses. They lease them or are training them for a more affluent owner. Or they are working students. Additionally, many pay for the board of their mount whether owned by themselves or acquired by other means by mucking out stalls, bringing horses in and turning them out, holding them for the farrier, putting blankets on or taking them off, and many more things that go along with caring for a horse. I have known many young riders and wouldn't call any of them "privileged" or having feelings of entitlement. Many Olympic and Grand Prix riders do not own the horses they show.

Chi Omega

Last edited by 1964Alum; 03-05-2015 at 12:47 AM.