View Single Post
Old 07-26-2000, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

A friend of mine goes to a small private christian college. VERY SMALL, maybe 300 students. They have 'social clubs' not sororities and faternities. These 'social clubs' are separate in gender, however, they do have a counter part. For instance, one group of girls always does their activities with a specific group of guys. These 'social clubs' also have greek letter names. They don't really follow any type of greek sturcture as far as rituals go, they resembles greek life in a way because I think they try to structure their clubs as to how they 'think' greek life is, without making their school officials mad. They have mascots, and they have a type of 'rush' process (which I was allowed to attend), they have pledge classes, but their pledging period only lasts a week. The reason they are 'social clubs' is because the school will not allow them to have sororities or fraternities, besides, at a school that small, I doubt they could get one started. But to make a long story short, one of the male 'social clubs' is called Alpha Sigma Tau, which I know is a national sorority because they were on my campus. At my friend's school, they are just called alpha's, but that is supposedly their full name. They don't have anything to do with the national sorority, they didn't even know that the sorority existed (I happened to ask one of the guys). The had decided to pick names one day, and they just 'came up' with Alpha Sigma Tau. Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

------------------
Mikki
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."

--Lao Tzu