View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Havana
Exactly. Individual chapters can have different policies. For instance, the Phi Mu chapter at Indiana would only pledge freshmen...no sophomores, juniors or seniors. Same with three others (Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma and I forgot the other) I think part of the reason is that these chapters required sisters to live in the house for three years. It was much rarer for houses to pledge sophomores, though it happened. If you were a junior or above you were pretty much out of luck, since only two or three houses took upperclassmen. Granted, this was in 1993 so things could have changed since then.

At other campuses, upperclassmen are welcome to pledge, and some systems have a certain amount of upperclassmen that can pledge without counting towards quota. It all depends. Check with the Greek system on your campus...that's the best answer I can give.

My chapter of Alpha Phi Omega pledged grad and nontraditional students...in fact the president of my pledge class was a married grad student.
Your assertion about the Phi Mu chapter at IU is not correct now or in 1993 (I was chapter development adviser when the house was built). There are not restrictions - ever - on the "status" of a potential member to be pledged. "Living In" is a consideration, but exceptions are always a possibility and taken case by case. As with other GLOs I am sure, the quality of the potential new member is the most important consideration.