View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My miscellaneous advice:

If your professor wrote the book, READ THE BOOK - KNOW THE BOOK - YOU WILL BE TESTED ON IT. If you need to skip a class, skip the one where the prof wrote the textbook him/herself. I used to infuriate friends who attended every class and got a C -- "how did we get Cs and you got an A and hardly ever went to class?" Because the prof wrote the book, and I read every word like it was the Bible, assuming the prof would think each word was sacred.

If the prof didn't write the book, your butt better be in the seat, however.

Check out the opportunities available at your school to take a semester abroad. Many schools offer study at a foreign university for the same tuition as you're already paying at home. All you need is airfare, and money for a Eurail pass (and food on your travels). If you can't afford it, then you'll know to get TWO jobs over the summer so that you can. This is a lot of people's biggest regret about college - they they didn't get the opportunity to broaden their horizons and open their minds on the cheap. It makes for a truly educated person.

Join a professional organization (Marketing Club, etc.) in your major - you'll hear about the internships and jobs before everyone else.

Read up on the stats on STDs. If you heard about a lottery where you had a 40% of winning, you'd buy a ticket, right? Well, assume that you have an even-better chance of picking up a fertility-ruining or really damned annoying STD if you're hooking up without protection. I do a lot of work on herpes meds, and trust me, the stats are JAW-DROPPING.

If you want to be a party girl, be disciplined after dinner. While you're friends are hanging out, watching TV or whatever they do after dinner, hit the books, hit the computer. Do the reading, do the exercises, write the paper. Then go out to the Skeller that night with a clear conscience.

If the gym is a zoo, check out the pool. It's great excercise, and not nearly as mobbed as the weight or cardio machines. It's also very calming, and great for the posture. But don't get chlorine hair - wear a cap.