View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC

*INTRODUCE yourself to your professors. I don't care if there's 400 people in the class. It's nothing to go up to a prof after class and say, "Hi Dr. Whatever. I'm Jocelyn. Just wanted to introduce myself." If anything he'll be happy you thought enough to do so. And it will certainly help later on in the semester if you start to have trouble or need help.
I remember I tried this during my 1st class my first semester of freshman year. It was math and I already knew the teacher was gonna be a beeyatch before i even talked to her. So after class I went up to her and said, "Hello Dr.---, my name is epchick and I just wanted to come up and introduce myself." She looked at me with this rude blank stare and said "what did you want?" I told her i just wanted to introduce myself and she said "oh...ok whatever. Bye now" And turned around back to the papers she was piling into her briefcase. I realized it might not be a good idea to talk to her again, but when i was in trouble (like the time my car broke down and i missed her class) I actually went to talk to her during her office hours. She wasn't half-bad after that and I actually became her "teacher's pet" lol.

**OFFICE HOURS--i do have to re-iterate what others said. This is probably one of the only times that the professors will wait on YOU. Don't really expect for them to talk to you after class (although some will)....most will say "go to office hours." You'll be surprised how willing they are to help you with the things that you are having problems will, and during office hours they *seem* to be more amiable!

**GO TO CLASS---its just something you should do, you never know what you are missing!!! I remember in one of my classes (art appreciation) there were like 150 people signed up for the class, but only about 25-50 would show up on a regular basis. So the teacher would take that opportunity to give us extra credit quizzes or give us the answers to an upcoming test. You never know what you'll miss!!!

**DO YOUR HOMEWORK DAILY---i had such a hard time doing this last year. I am such a procrastinator! The teacher had all the homework assignments on the syllabus, take advantage of that. If you know the subject (like english or something---something you dont' have to wait to learn), then do the homework early. You never know what might happen and you'll be glad the homework was done!! TRUST ME!!

**GET A PLANNER---again, TRUST ME! It is something you'll need. You dont want to get home or to your dorm room and then say "shat, what was the homework for Math 101?" Don't rely on calling a friend for the homework, because they might not have wrote it down either, or they might not give it to you!

**COME EARLY---if you are at a commuter campus, and parking around campus is scarce. Then come at least 1/2 hour early so that you can find a parking space. Even if it is at 8:00 in the morning, you don't really realize how quickly the parking spaces will go. Especially since you have to pay 40-65 dollars for a parking sticker...use it!! Even if you find a parking spot quickly, that extra time can actually be used to relax during a Final or looking over material for class!

**TEACHER'S PET--unlike the impressions during middle school or high school, being Teacher's pet in high school can be a good thing. Even in a class with 500-600 students, making yourself known by the teacher (i.e. going to office hours regularly) has its benefits. Teacher's do have their favorites and they sometimes really do get more leniency! If the teacher asks for a favor (although it does depend on what it is) then DO IT! You'll never know what that little favor will do for your grade .

**CLASS SCHEDULE--look for your class. This isn't high school, if your late on the first day of class, professor's might not be so lenient on WHY. They'll expect that you already know your way around campus. Like already mentioned, if someone says "DONT TAKE THAT TEACHER" really ask why? Most people really do give sound advice on the teachers---it will be something you'll be grateful for. Same goes for if someone says "TAKE THAT TEACHER!!"

**DROP THE CLASS if your having trouble. There is no point in staying in the class if you are really bombing it! There will always be another time that you can take the class (maybe even with another teacher) Dont give yourself a heart attack trying to study material you don't get!

Just read what everyone has on here...everyone's advice is sound and its only here to help YOU. College can be great, if you take advantage of it. You dont want to be a in college for 3 years and still be considered a freshman because you party too much, don't show up for class, and fail everything!! GET YOUR MONEY'S WORTH!