View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi6389 View Post
I go to a small university in Maine, and i am really interested in starting a sorority at my school. My school doesnt and has never had sororities or fraternities here.
Well I know you don't go to Colby or Bowdoin, since I know they've both had Greek Life in the past. (In fact, my sorority was founded at Colby and I wished for a second that Colby would bring Greeks back and SK could return) Anyways, among things that other posters have been telling you, you'll have to consider a couple things:

1. Since there are no Greeks at your school, is your administration dead set against it? Before starting a sorority, you need your school's approval to even have Greeks.
2. Are students interested in Greek Life at your school, meaning both women interested in joining a sorority and men interested in joining a fraternity? It would be hard to exist in a bubble. I don't know where you go to school, but I know that schools without Greeks can sometimes have a very anti-Greek attitude like
“I’m so happy we don't have fraternities and sororities at Bowdoin. That's one of the reasons I came here.”
—Aliza Marks ’04

It'd be easier (but still no picnic) if your school already had a Greek community and you wanted to add another. There is still a complicated process that a campus Panhellenic has to go through to add a sorority.

Are you interested in founding your own sorority or starting a new chapter of an existing NPC, NPHC, or cultural or multicultural sorority?