View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Quote:
Originally posted by neonsparkles
I was wondering about how to get letters of recommendation. I looked through some of the posts about rush to try to find something, but there are so many! So, I apologize if this has already been answered, but how would I go about getting them. I have friends who are current members at other schools who will write them for me, but no alumni members. No one in my family has ever gone greek, and I don't think I know anyone in my community who is an alumni of a greek organization. Someone posted a reply about going to the national panhellenic website, but I did not see any listings around where I lived for alumni.

Also, is it "ok" to ask people you do not know for a rec? I would feel a little weird asking someone who didn't know me to write such a letter. Then again, if I had to depend on only the people I know I wouldn't have any of these letters of reccomendation. I'm sure there are girls who are in my exact situation, so how would they go about getting these letters?

Any help would definitely be great and I really appreciate it!
I don't think anyone has answer this, so in case you don't have your answer yet I'll give a brief answer.

First, if you need help with recs check out the forum entitled "recommendations". A ton of GC alums (including myself) have volunteered to help write recs for those needing them. I think it's ok to have someone write you a rec that you don't know well, but if you go that route I would suggest talking with the alum for a short bit and filling her in on your goals and history. That way she can get to know you better and will be able to write a more accurate rec.

Some schools don't require a rec, but they don't hurt you (if anything they would help). Just something to keep in mind.