View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Keep in touch with your parents. They haven't slept a wink since they dropped you off at State U. Seriously.

Oh and remember how incredibly dumb they got while you were in high school? Like, they didn't know anything? Amazingly, they have straightened themselves out and are a great resource for things like teaching or telling you about coupon clipping, saving money, credit cards, balancing check books, installing a light bulb and doing laundry.

Also, they're getting older and tend to be a bit forgetful. Hound them about getting their taxes done early so you don't get ripped on the FAFSA. I promise you that both you and your parents will be glad that you stayed on them when you're getting merit-based scholarships early in the financial aid cycle instead of receiving only loans.

They will also be good for helping you plot out classes. Use them as a sounding board. I doubt mom is using Calculus as much in her daily life, but she may be able to suggest some classes that may help you get ahead.

Also, now that you've picked a major... are you 110% certain you will be in this field your entire life? I didn't think so. Stick with the major, but take some courses outside of it to get a more liberal range of electives. If you're an English major, take Statistics and an Economics course. If you're an engineering major, take a non-technical writing course.

If you're pre-law, don't major in pre-law or poli-sci. Go with English or philosophy or liberal arts-- something more theory-based than vocational. The law schools see a ton of pre-law majors. Stand out. If you're going to get an MBA someday, you don't nececessarily need to major in a business-related field right now (much for the same reasons.) I've done my fair share of research on both of these professional degrees-- a unique profile stands out. Just make sure to earn high grades, get involved in a few meaningful activities/community service (excluding Greek Life) and work for a couple of years post-college. Then kick butt on the GMAT or LSAT.

Take one night a week where you do nothing with the sorority. Just kick back and chill. Sometimes it is good to have a girl-free day to put things in perspective. Oftentimes, whether you live in the house or not, living on top of so many women can stress you out. This can also be true of living in an apartment or dorm. Find your getaway spot.

As we've all been hammering home, don't make a mockery of yourself by fooling around with boys and wondering why they don't call. Here's a tip: you put out (or came close) and they got what they wanted. It's not 1956, but boys do still want a bit of chase. And guys in college tend to not be quite so relationship minded as they were in high school. Don't be one of their conquests. Respect yourself.

Go to bed at a reasonable hour.