GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New sorority at 'Bama (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=16594)

GammaPhiBabe 04-02-2002 12:48 PM

New sorority at 'Bama

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I thought you all might find it interesting:

http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v...d?in_archive=1

Melody Twilley is starting a multicultural sorority.

gamma_girl52 04-02-2002 01:13 PM

Go For It!

I read the article and I think it's great that this young lady wants to start something new and different. And if she has 45 women who share the same sentiment, they should go for it. MCGO's have been successful at every other university, why not at UA?

I applaud Ms. Twilley for what she's doing. She gets all my support!!

dzrose93 04-02-2002 01:16 PM

I hope the new multicultural group works out. :) It's always nice to have a new Greek group on campus, regardless of what "kind" of group it is. Local or national, service or social, it really doesn't matter as long as the members represent Greek Life in a good way.

PenguinTrax 04-02-2002 01:51 PM

While I can appreciate their goal, I am somewhat irked that the new group is stated to be "Christian based". I mean, they are only replacing one form of bigotry with another, know what I mean?

If the state goal is inclusion, this aspect of the new group is a slap in the face to any non-Christian woman that thought to join the new group.

Barbara

Edited to add: There was a second article posted about this on the Fraternal News board.

I just reread the article and, at first glance, it appears that the Christian-based group that is being talked about is the new MC sorority being formed. On closer inspection, it appears that this Christian-based group and the new group are two different entities.

My apologies, all.

Dionysus 04-02-2002 02:22 PM

If Twilley's university have the racial problems that they claim, it's hard for me to see a multi-cultural sorority surviving on that campus.

My campus is pretty integrated. However, Lambda Psi Delta (an MCS), failed awfully.

gamma_girl52 04-02-2002 03:10 PM

Barbara,

Where did you read that? Did I miss something in the article someplace? If that's the case, then that's a problem.

juniorgrrl 04-02-2002 03:14 PM

Isn't Melody Twilley the girl who rushed last year and claimed she was cut for racial reasons? That name is REALLY familiar.

Honeykiss1974 04-02-2002 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PnguinTrax
While I can appreciate their goal, I am somewhat irked that the new group is stated to be "Christian based". I mean, they are only replacing one form of bigotry with another, know what I mean?

If the state goal is inclusion, this aspect of the new group is a slap in the face to any non-Christian woman that thought to join the new group.

Barbara

From my understanding, BGLO's (I am not sure about WGLO's therefore I won't comment on them) are founded upon and grounded with Christian principles, although a prospective members may not(whether Christian or not). Maybe this is the same approach the new MCGLO @ 'Bama is trying to for.

I have ran across sororities and fraternities for gay/lesbians students as well. Would you consider these to be another form of bigotry as well?

Dionysus 04-02-2002 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by juniorgrrl
Isn't Melody Twilley the girl who rushed last year and claimed she was cut for racial reasons? That name is REALLY familiar.
Yes.

dzrose93 04-02-2002 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Honeykiss1974

From my understanding, BGLO's (I am not sure about WGLO's therefore I won't comment on them) are founded upon and grounded with Christian principles, although a prospective members may not(whether Christian or not). Maybe this is the same approach the new MCGLO @ 'Bama is trying to for.

I have ran across sororities and fraternities for gay/lesbians students as well. Would you consider these to be another form of bigotry as well?

I think what Barbara was saying is that a "multicultural sorority" is an organization that is suppose to be for all women, regardless of race or religion. If this multicultural sorority that Twilley is starting at Alabama is Christian-based, then it does sound a little hypocritical. (I honestly don't know if it's been touted as a Christian-based group or not.) I would think that a truly multicultural organization would not be based on any one religion.

As for the gay/lesbian groups, I think there is a big difference between gay/lesbian groups and multicultural groups. Although gay/lesbian groups' main focus is to provide a comfortable environment for gays and lesbians, they do allow heterosexual people committed to supporting gay/lesbian interests to join.

Since a multicultural organization's main purpose is to make people of all cultural backgrounds feel comfortable and welcome -- not just one specific group of people with one specific type of background -- then it seems strange that it would be founded primarily on one specific type of religion. Therefore, I can see where Barbara would find "Christian-based, multicultural sorority" to be a rather contradictory term.

Eirene_DGP 04-02-2002 03:46 PM

Quote:

Barbara

I read the article and it didn't say anything about the chica wanting to form a Christian MCGLO unless there was another article that I did not read.

Honeykiss1974 04-02-2002 03:54 PM

Are they any members of MCGLO's that can shed some light on this for me? Were multicultural orgs created for for the need to have a sorority that PRIMARILY included all races(not just one or two of a particular race per chapter, but as a whole) or all races and religions? Eirene_DGP what is your national HQ homepage so that I can research this some more.

Dionysus 04-02-2002 04:10 PM

Quote:

Are they any members of MCGLO's that can shed some light on this for me? Were multicultural orgs created for for the need to have a sorority that PRIMARILY included all races(not just one or two of a particular race per chapter, but as a whole) or all races and religions? Eirene_DGP what is your national HQ homepage so that I can research this some more.
I used to be a Lambda Psi Delta (lily) before the other two. As I said it failed. Our main focus was to recruit girls of all races and nationalities. Not necessarily religion, but it was a plus.

PenguinTrax 04-02-2002 04:20 PM

Whoops..I may have messed up..

There was a second article posted about this on the Fraternal News board.

I just reread the article and, at first glance, it appears that the Christian-based group that is being talked about is the new MC sorority being formed. On closer inspection, it appears that this Christian-based group and the new group are two different entities.

My apologies, all.

Honeykiss1974 04-02-2002 04:24 PM

Thanks Dionysus. When I hear the term"multicultural" organizations, I am thinking in term of culture (African, English, Spanish, Asian, etc.) only, and not necessarilly religion, because it is not a "culture" persay, but rather a belief and lifestyle.

PenguinTrax 04-02-2002 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dionysus

I used to be a Lambda Psi Delta (lily) before the other two. As I said it failed. Our main focus was to recruit girls of all races and nationalities. Not necessarily religion, but it was a plus.

Which chapter were you in? According to the site there are only 4 chapters, not including their graduate chapter:

Alpha Chapter: Yale University, New Haven, CT

Beta Chapter: Greater Hartford Area, CT

Gamma Chapter: (Gamma Reserved for Graduates)

Delta Chapter: Our Lady of the Lake University, San Antonio, TX

Epsilon Chapter: University of South Florida, Tampa, FL

http://www.lambdapsidelta.org

dzrose93 04-02-2002 04:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks Dionysus. When I hear the term"multicultural" organizations, I am thinking in term of culture (African, English, Spanish, Asian, etc.) only, and not necessarilly religion, because it is not a "culture" persay, but rather a belief and lifestyle.
I just ran a web search of multicultural sororities and found that several of them (such as Delta Xi Phi and Sigma Alpha Zeta) note that they were formed to allow women of all races, cultures, and religions to come together as one organization. I found others that noted only cultural and racial differences on their websites. So, I'm guessing that it depends on the group as to how "multicultural" each one actually is.

Tom Earp 04-02-2002 05:40 PM

Dion, I guess this shows you just what a Site like this can do or try to help you do and to give comfort!

This is the most uncultured Site I know!:D

By that before I get my butt shot down( weird mood today) that what We have here is a bunch of different types of people from all walks of life who have been through it, or are going through it!

Heck kiddo, We have pretty much seen it all! Give any and all of a chance to be of help!

From Us to you!http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/invasion.gif

Welcome aboard and ask away anytime!:D

33girl 04-02-2002 07:16 PM

huh??

This is the part I don't get.

Taken from the article:

If they choose to join with a national sorority, National Pan-hellenic Council representatives will visit the campus to meet with colony members.

Looking at Bama's website, they already HAVE chapters of all 4 NPHC sororities. Why would they contact NPHC about this new group? Unless they are going to be the first female chapter of Iota Phi Theta, LOL.

PenguinTrax 04-02-2002 07:52 PM

Probably a typo on their behalf, I"m guessing.

I would guess that this new group might affiliate with either a) a preexisting national m.c. group or b)a historically non-sectarian, inclusive NPC group such as AOPi, Phi Sigma Sigma or DPhiE.

Just a thought...

NoShame_Gamma 04-02-2002 08:27 PM

New Sorority

I think it's great what this person is trying to do. There are a lot of MCGLO's out there as well as LGLO (Latino Greeks). If any of you would like to learn more about such organizations and where they can be found, I recommend the following website:
www.latinogreeks.com Don't let the name fool you, it is not only for Latinos, it also includes Multicultural orgs. Enjoy!:eek:

gamma_25 04-02-2002 08:27 PM

Go For It

i'm really happy to see more diveristy going on in the greek system...i hope that young lady gets what she is striving for...i'm happy for her devotion and i wish her the best of luck...having this sorority will expand more on how greek orgs aren 't just for "pretty people" which is a big stereotype that people have towards them....just remember "SI SE PUEDE" (U CAN DO IT!!!!) good luck mija.... :D

Dionysus 04-02-2002 11:53 PM

Quote:

Which chapter were you in? According to the site there are only 4 chapters, not including their graduate chapter:

Alpha Chapter: Yale University, New Haven, CT

Beta Chapter: Greater Hartford Area, CT

Gamma Chapter: (Gamma Reserved for Graduates)

Delta Chapter: Our Lady of the Lake University, San Antonio, TX

Epsilon Chapter: University of South Florida, Tampa, FL

http://www.lambdapsidelta.org

We never became a real chapter. We were trying to get a charter but we died out.

DGPhoney 04-02-2002 11:57 PM

Quote:

well as a member of a MCorg, there is a differance between religion related organizations compared to a social and service organization. In general there are tons of "Christian Oriented Sororities and Fraternities" and really other religious based organizations. A Multicultural organization is also different from those organizations that are more cultural based, like you can check out some of the Latin Based orgs or latinogreeks.com or there are other cultural based sororities as in Asian, Latino and many others. The religious organizations are based on one religion and mainly focus on that belief. As for more specific cultural organizations, they focus on that particular heritage or culture(not generalizing, but just basically stating the concept) Multicultural, is a variety of not one heritage but many. A Gathering of Men or Females of different decents.
I too read the article in related to the situation of UA, now we all know not every greek life scenario is the same at every campus. We all might like to think everything is peaches and creams when we know it.s not. So sadly enough some of these situations still happen. So if they feel as though, that a more diverse group is needed or more cultural relations is needed to reach out to every student and not just a few so be it. As long as they hold true to their beliefs and why they choose the MC road to begin with then it's all good.
I hope that makes sense and clears up some things.
oh,honeykiss, DGP 's website is http://my.websitenow.com/citron

DGP~Honey~

NinjaPoodle 04-03-2002 12:24 AM

Re: New sorority at 'Bama

Quote:

Originally posted by GammaPhiBabe
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I thought you all might find it interesting:

http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v...d?in_archive=1

Melody Twilley is starting a multicultural sorority.

I say good for her. I wish her the best of luck!http://www.plauder-smilies.de/party/yelclap.gif

AXOLiz 04-03-2002 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by juniorgrrl
So after I read your post and remembered why I recognized her name, I reread the article and noticed that it said she's a senior in the college of arts and sciences. Not to start a huge debate, but I remember reading the articles around when she was cut, and they all focused on race as the main issue. I could be wrong, but I don't remember any of them giving her class standing, all they said was she had great grades, was financially well-off, but was denied a bid due to her race. Is anyone else wondering if the real reason she didn't get a bid is that she was probably a junior or senior when she rushed? I'm guessing Bama doesn't have many spots in their quotas for upperclassmen, but I could be wrong.

I'm glad there's interest for a multicultural sorority there though, and it's always good to see someone turning a negative rush experience into something positive. :)

Bama_Alumna 04-03-2002 02:11 PM

I don't post here often, but I wanted to weigh in on this. I'm an alum from one of the NPC orgs at The U. of Alabama. I was present during rush last year and the year before when Melody came through. I don't think that the media has done a good job of presenting this issue in a way in which all sides were represented.
I've met Miss Twilley. My organization did drop her from rush. I didn't vote on her because of my alumna status, but I was present during voting. Melody's race had nothing to do with why she was dropped from my house. I can't speak for any house but my own, but that is the truth. Feel free to pm me if you have any ?s about the greek system at Bama. I am on our chapter's advisory council and I try to follow these things closely.

Peaches-n-Cream 04-03-2002 03:06 PM

Good for Melody! :)

FuzzieAlum 04-03-2002 05:27 PM

I'm curious ... if they specifically want to start a sorority that is "multicultural," why are they looking to affiliate with an NPC group rather than one of the new, specifically MC ones? Not that NPC groups can't be diverse - I'm certainly not trying to knock my own or any other NPC sorority - but if multiculturalism is so important to them, why don't they look to affiliate with one of the up and coming multicultural groups?

Honeykiss1974 04-03-2002 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
I'm curious ... if they specifically want to start a sorority that is "multicultural," why are they looking to affiliate with an NPC group rather than one of the new, specifically MC ones? Not that NPC groups can't be diverse - I'm certainly not trying to knock my own or any other NPC sorority - but if multiculturalism is so important to them, why don't they look to affiliate with one of the up and coming multicultural groups?
I believe that when the article mentions that they might look into associating with National Pan-Hellenic Counsil reps, I take it to mean ALL sororities that are organized on a national level (NPHC, NPC, MCPC, etc.) as opposed to being a local sorority. I don't believe that it meant the just the NPC.

33girl 04-03-2002 08:02 PM

I don't think they are trying to affiliate w/ NPC OR NPHC (as I said, all 4 NPHC groups are already there). They probably are looking into a new local multicultural GLO or a national one like Delta Gamma Pi. It just doesn't sound like the admin there knows much about MCGLO's in general. The girls doing it are probably miles ahead of them (the admin) already.

dzsaigirl 04-03-2002 09:35 PM

someone used the term "WGLO" in their post. Let it be known that there is no such thing! Girls in my chapter are from all racial backgrounds!!!!!!!

Ugh...

queensophia 04-04-2002 09:20 AM

:p

Eirene_DGP 04-04-2002 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dzsaigirl
someone used the term "WGLO" in their post. Let it be known that there is no such thing! Girls in my chapter are from all racial backgrounds!!!!!!!

Ugh...

Lets not get offensive. Some people do not know that and just assume that all of NPC is Caucasian. My university is in SC and there are NO African Amer., Latinos, or Asians in our NPC.

hawaiiagd 04-07-2002 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eirene_DGP

Lets not get offensive. Some people do not know that and just assume that all of NPC is Caucasian. My university is in SC and there are NO African Amer., Latinos, or Asians in our NPC.

Very true.... Diversity in membership will vary from chapter to chapter largely based upon region or the greek system on a campus. I'm sure the post referring to WGLO wasn't written with the intent of offending anyone but more to refer to GLOs with membership that is/has been made up of primarily caucasian members.

Our chapter is also very diverse with regard to race/nationality, religious beliefs, and so much more... but I understand that some of our other chapters are not so.

I had actually never heard of a MCGLO before coming across these posts. I think it's wonderful! Thanks for posting this!

Aloha,
Mai Ly

stargirl725 04-07-2002 02:30 PM

MCGLO

In response to whoever asked about how MCGLO's get founded, I know that in the case of Theta Nu Xi (which a friend of mine is in) a biracial woman wanted to join a sorority, but didn't know where to join. She felt that by rushing either an NPC org or an NPHC org, she would be forced to "choose" one part of her heritage over another, so she formed an MCGLO instead.

Dionysus 04-07-2002 05:32 PM

Just curious...

I hear all of this talk about MC sororities. Do any MC fraternities exist??? I've never heard of any.

DGPhoney 04-07-2002 06:08 PM

Re: Just curious...

Quote:

Originally posted by Dionysus
I hear all of this talk about MC sororities. Do any MC fraternities exist??? I've never heard of any.
There are lots of MC Fraternities, I just don't think alot of them are this board. Although there are a few on this board. But just to name a Few MC Fraternities:
Psi Sigma Phi Fraternity
Omega Phi Kappa fraternity
Gamma Omega Delta Fraternity
Tau Phi Sigma Fraternity
Beta Xi Chi Fraternity
Theres many more but those are off the top of my head.

DGP~Honey~

Dionysus 04-07-2002 06:24 PM

Re: Re: Just curious...

Quote:

Originally posted by DGPhoney

There are lots of MC Fraternities, I just don't think alot of them are this board. Although there are a few on this board. But just to name a Few MC Fraternities:
Psi Sigma Phi Fraternity
Omega Phi Kappa fraternity
Gamma Omega Delta Fraternity
Tau Phi Sigma Fraternity
Beta Xi Chi Fraternity
Theres many more but those are off the top of my head.

DGP~Honey~

Wow that's a lot! I thought they didn't exist.

DGPhoney 04-07-2002 07:49 PM

Hey , heres some more, if you check out Latinogreeks.com under their Multicultural greeks they have a list, as well as

Beta Gamma Nu Fraternity
Beta Kappa Psi Fraternity
Beta Sigma Kappa Fraternity
Gamma Alpha Sigma Fraternity
Delphic of Gamma Sigma Tau Fraternity INC
Xi Psi Omega Fraternity
Pi Psi Fraternity
Chi Delta Beta Fraternity
Omega Delta Fraternity
Epsilon Sigma Rho
also peep out the up and coming national forum theres a lot listed there as well

DGP~Honey~