GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New sorority at 'Bama (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=16594)

TempleOne 08-08-2002 12:13 PM

New Diverse Sorority

Hello everyone!

I happen to be a member of the group of women trying to start the new diverse sorority at The University of Alabama. I want to thank everyone for their well-wishes. I also wanted to post a message to clarify some confusion I've seen posted.

The first matter is to clarify and make clear that this IS NOT Melody Twilley's sorority. True, she spoke with Dr. Strong about how to go about doing so. HOWEVER, she is not the only instrumental voice in accomplishing this goal. I can speak for the other women involved by saying we do not want our organization to be known as "Melody's Sorority."

I also wanted to comment on this statement:
"While I can appreciate their goal, I am somewhat irked that the new group is stated to be "Christian based". I mean, they are only replacing one form of bigotry with another, know what I mean?

If the state goal is inclusion, this aspect of the new group is a slap in the face to any non-Christian woman that thought to join the new group.

Barbara "

I read the Crimson White article and no where does it state this group will be "Christian based." To state simply, this group wants to open the Greek community to those who may feel left out: transfer students, upper classmen, etc. Our NPC rush tends to favor incoming freshmen. With this new sorority, we want to extend a chance for every woman, regardless of her class standings. We also want to provide a welcoming, comfortable and relatively less stressful rush/pledge process.

We want to join women of different faiths, socioeconomic backgrounds, ages, races, majors, geographical locations, sexual orientation, etc. This will be our diversity.

I want to give kudos to the already existing NPHC sororities and fraternities on campus. They have done a great job concerning their inclusive rush policies. They have already embraced diversity in their membership. So much attention was given to the NPC and IFC that these Greek organizations have been overlooked and have not received the proper recognition.

The goal of the new sorority is to include and unite all women at the Capstone. We believe it doesn't matter how old you are or how you look. We want to provide an open and comfortable environment for all women to enjoy and experience Greek life at The University of Alabama.

PenguinTrax 08-08-2002 12:25 PM

Temple One,

If you read the entire thread, you will see that I mistook a statement in that article as being about your group and retracted my statement.

TempleOne 08-08-2002 12:31 PM

I read the entire thread. I simply wanted to clarify/correct the statement for those who may not have read the entire thread.

No offense should be taken concerning anything I wrote. Nothing was written with malicious intent. My post was not an attack on anyone.

gamma_girl52 08-08-2002 01:52 PM

Try Again

TempleOne,

You just tried to send me a PM but my box was full. Sorry! But it's cleaned up now so please send it again.

I wish ya'll the best of luck at UA as you begin building your new sorority!