GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New sorority at 'Bama (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=16594)

33girl 04-03-2002 08:02 PM

I don't think they are trying to affiliate w/ NPC OR NPHC (as I said, all 4 NPHC groups are already there). They probably are looking into a new local multicultural GLO or a national one like Delta Gamma Pi. It just doesn't sound like the admin there knows much about MCGLO's in general. The girls doing it are probably miles ahead of them (the admin) already.

dzsaigirl 04-03-2002 09:35 PM

someone used the term "WGLO" in their post. Let it be known that there is no such thing! Girls in my chapter are from all racial backgrounds!!!!!!!

Ugh...

queensophia 04-04-2002 09:20 AM

:p

Eirene_DGP 04-04-2002 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dzsaigirl
someone used the term "WGLO" in their post. Let it be known that there is no such thing! Girls in my chapter are from all racial backgrounds!!!!!!!

Ugh...

Lets not get offensive. Some people do not know that and just assume that all of NPC is Caucasian. My university is in SC and there are NO African Amer., Latinos, or Asians in our NPC.

hawaiiagd 04-07-2002 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eirene_DGP

Lets not get offensive. Some people do not know that and just assume that all of NPC is Caucasian. My university is in SC and there are NO African Amer., Latinos, or Asians in our NPC.

Very true.... Diversity in membership will vary from chapter to chapter largely based upon region or the greek system on a campus. I'm sure the post referring to WGLO wasn't written with the intent of offending anyone but more to refer to GLOs with membership that is/has been made up of primarily caucasian members.

Our chapter is also very diverse with regard to race/nationality, religious beliefs, and so much more... but I understand that some of our other chapters are not so.

I had actually never heard of a MCGLO before coming across these posts. I think it's wonderful! Thanks for posting this!

Aloha,
Mai Ly

stargirl725 04-07-2002 02:30 PM

MCGLO

In response to whoever asked about how MCGLO's get founded, I know that in the case of Theta Nu Xi (which a friend of mine is in) a biracial woman wanted to join a sorority, but didn't know where to join. She felt that by rushing either an NPC org or an NPHC org, she would be forced to "choose" one part of her heritage over another, so she formed an MCGLO instead.

Dionysus 04-07-2002 05:32 PM

Just curious...

I hear all of this talk about MC sororities. Do any MC fraternities exist??? I've never heard of any.

DGPhoney 04-07-2002 06:08 PM

Re: Just curious...

Quote:

Originally posted by Dionysus
I hear all of this talk about MC sororities. Do any MC fraternities exist??? I've never heard of any.
There are lots of MC Fraternities, I just don't think alot of them are this board. Although there are a few on this board. But just to name a Few MC Fraternities:
Psi Sigma Phi Fraternity
Omega Phi Kappa fraternity
Gamma Omega Delta Fraternity
Tau Phi Sigma Fraternity
Beta Xi Chi Fraternity
Theres many more but those are off the top of my head.

DGP~Honey~

Dionysus 04-07-2002 06:24 PM

Re: Re: Just curious...

Quote:

Originally posted by DGPhoney

There are lots of MC Fraternities, I just don't think alot of them are this board. Although there are a few on this board. But just to name a Few MC Fraternities:
Psi Sigma Phi Fraternity
Omega Phi Kappa fraternity
Gamma Omega Delta Fraternity
Tau Phi Sigma Fraternity
Beta Xi Chi Fraternity
Theres many more but those are off the top of my head.

DGP~Honey~

Wow that's a lot! I thought they didn't exist.

DGPhoney 04-07-2002 07:49 PM

Hey , heres some more, if you check out Latinogreeks.com under their Multicultural greeks they have a list, as well as

Beta Gamma Nu Fraternity
Beta Kappa Psi Fraternity
Beta Sigma Kappa Fraternity
Gamma Alpha Sigma Fraternity
Delphic of Gamma Sigma Tau Fraternity INC
Xi Psi Omega Fraternity
Pi Psi Fraternity
Chi Delta Beta Fraternity
Omega Delta Fraternity
Epsilon Sigma Rho
also peep out the up and coming national forum theres a lot listed there as well

DGP~Honey~

tcsparky 04-07-2002 09:05 PM

As some of you know, i teach high school. One of my students came to me a short while ago to discuss college, and Greek life. Her mom is African-American, and her dad is white. She was worried that if she joined a NPHC or NPC, she would be denying part of her heritage. She said, "I want to find girls just like me. I don't think I would find that in a white sorority or a black sorority." I then smiled, and took her to the Theta Nu Xi website. She sat there and read for 20 minutes, then came to find me, all smiles. She now wants to try to start a chapter at her college when she goes next year (there isn't one at her school currently). I am so glad that MCGLOs exist. They fill a need that is defnitely out there.

gamma_girl52 04-08-2002 01:54 PM

Any Updates?

Any updates yet on the sorority? I'm curious to know what's been going on!

Tom Earp 04-08-2002 04:27 PM

DAMN SPARKY, YU THE BEST!!!!!!!!!:)

Not all Orgs are for ALL of the People who go to college! Thank God they are going THO!:)

I tell young men who I meet, Look at LXA, But if it is not for you, GO GREEK! You will miss a lot if you do not!:)

ONElove 05-02-2002 07:20 PM

HI Everyone!!

I just wnat to say that as a sister of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Incorporated...that I think its a beautiful idea to start a MC Sorority on any campus....:)

swissmiss04 05-05-2002 11:09 PM

new sorority at UA

I am a student at the University of Alabama, and I also know Ms Twilley. She is a very nice girl and I think it's incredibly awesome that in spite of all the hell she has been through that she is perservering. I used to live w/ two girls who were in traditionally white sororities (names withheld to avoid marring the reputations of these organizations becuase of these two ignorant people). These girls used racial slurs in the prescence of many people, not all of whom enjoyed hearing them. When Melody was again cut from rush, one of my former roommates tried to convince me that she was rude,snobby, and all other sorts of unflattering things. I am a member of Sigma Alpha Iota, a women's music fraternity, and the University regards us as a Greek organization, but in the environment that I'm in, I deny the fact that I'm in a GLO. I have more often than not encountered Greeks on campus that would make any national want to pull their charter because of their racist, intolerant, and downright undignified behavior. But, I also know a lot of members of fraternities and sororities that are great people and even my friends. But there needs to be some change. I hope that the new sorority takes off. I think it's time for a little variety. Roll Tide!!!