GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What are the elite sororities? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=1587)

historian 06-02-2000 05:40 PM

I think I can clarify the misunderstandings regarding the "first female GLO" debate.

ADPi was formerly The Adelphian Society
(the earliest NPC sisterhood ever founded which is presently under a Greek Letter name)

Phi Mu was The Philomathean Society
Pi Beta Phi was I.C. Sorosis

I think I.C. Sorosis was the first ever to change its name to a Greek Letter name, so I suppose it could be said to be the first ever Greek letter society, by the taking on of Greek Letters.

However, The Adelphian Society existed before I.C. Sororis did, even though it changed its name after IC Sorosis.

Kappa Alpha Theta was the first ever sisterhood to be founded using Greek Letters; that is, it did not have a former name.

PiPhiAngelUVM 02-18-2001 11:29 PM

After reading all this i'm still confused as to what the word "elite" implies exactly. can someone define this?

ilovemyglo 02-19-2001 02:36 AM

I think it is funny to read some of these sororities. Only two of them exist in my state that I know of, at least out of the original list. In my state there are two "state" Univsersities and three smaller ones. Out of them, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Tri Delt, Sigma Kappa, AOPi, AGD, KD and DZ are the largest. That seems funny to me.

------------------
If your going to go greek, why not be a goddess?

Hootie 02-19-2001 02:48 AM

I'd have to agree that the definition of elite is being confused with "the best". I think of ELITE as being ranked top in numbers and grades and other criteria. Obviously what I consider elite will be different from what others think is "elite".
Another thing too, to keep in mind, is that some GLOs are stronger in certain areas of the country than in others. I noticed on a map my National Chapter has on their webpage, our GLO is prodominately found in the Midwest, South, and East Coast. So to someone on the West Coast my GLO may not seem Elite because they don't know of it. All things to take into perspective.
I think we're ALL Elite :P

------------------
What do you get when you cross an Alpha Omicron Pi and a Sigma Phi Epsilon? A beautiful Chi Omega!
~Love ya mom & dad :)

torn01 02-25-2001 11:19 PM

Not saying that these are the "best"(or the "worst" for that matter) NPHC sororities, but in the South the so-called "elite"(using the term loosely) sororities are Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta. Though it does vary from campus to campus they are generally the most popular for whatever reasons. On my campus you hardly hear of anyone wanting to join Sigma Gamma Rho or Zeta Phi Beta. In my opinion the ladies of ALL of the sororities are elite in their own way and they all command and deserve respect.

AlphaChiGirl 02-25-2001 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by torn01:
Not saying that these are the "best"(or the "worst" for that matter) NPHC sororities, but in the South the so-called "elite"(using the term loosely) sororities are Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta. Though it does vary from campus to campus they are generally the most popular for whatever reasons. On my campus you hardly hear of anyone wanting to join Sigma Gamma Rho or Zeta Phi Beta. In my opinion the ladies of ALL of the sororities are elite in their own way and they all command and deserve respect.

I've always heard that SGRho is THE NPHC sorority to join in Indiana. Makes sense. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

jammy12 02-26-2001 10:52 PM

I would have to disagree, I currently attend the University of Maryland and the most elite and biggest sororities right now are Tri-Delt, KD, and Theta, and AOPi is pretty big too. But Zeta and Phi Sig arent that big here right now.

XOZAOSU 03-10-2001 11:00 PM

I don't know about the "elitest" sorority but I know for a fact that Chi-Omega is the largest sorority right now. 1 out of every 4 girls is a XO. As for the "best sorority" there really isn't one!!!! we are all good in our own ways and have our own strengths and weaknesses. As for the more popular with the numbers it totally depends on the school you are at, every house is different at every school! Who cares about stero types anyway find a sorority you fit in with and enjoy being a sister!!!

XO love

drinknNole 03-11-2001 12:43 AM

AXO is elite at my school,

Texas_Dove 03-11-2001 05:08 PM

To Torn01 and AlphaChiGirl,

Please keep in mind what my Soror ZetaAce said a few posts prior to mine.

AKA, DST, Zeta and SGRho are ALL ELITE SORORITIES.

Choosing the sorority (or fraternity) that is right for you is an important PERSONAL decision. Just because you know an individual or several individuals who have picked one sorority over the other three doesn't mean that one is more "elite" than the others.

It simply means that person or persons have exercised their right to choose.

Quote:

Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:

I've always heard that SGRho is THE NPHC sorority to join in Indiana. Makes sense. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

Texas_Dove 03-11-2001 05:10 PM

To Torn01 and AlphaChiGirl,

Please keep in mind what my Soror ZetaAce said a few posts prior to mine.

AKA, DST, Zeta and SGRho are ALL ELITE SORORITIES.

Choosing the sorority (or fraternity) that is right for you is an important PERSONAL decision. Just because you know an individual or several individuals who have picked one sorority over the other three doesn't mean that one is more "elite" than the others.

It simply means that person or persons have exercised their right to choose.

Quote:

Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:

AlphaChiGirl 03-11-2001 07:05 PM

Uhhh...I didn't say it wasn't elite. I know that in different areas (like the South), different sororities are more elite than others. I have heard that SGRho is very popular in Indiana, because of the fact that it was founded in Indiana.

Don't read into something that's just not there. Besides, all sororities are elite. Think about it.

Gina_lynn 03-12-2001 02:37 PM

I am really not trying to get into a debate about something I admit I don't know much about, but my understanding of the word elite has always been: the hardest to get into, and for that reason, the smallest. I am not suggesting any particular org. is elite, and as we've already established, in terms of NPHC sororities, mine is the largest, so , I certainly don't think the definition applies all the time http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
If you can't raise conciousness, at least raise hell!--Rita Mae Brown

pbpck 04-08-2001 11:23 PM

Awatters-
Pi Phi, DG, Kappa and Theta are considered the top houses at my school as well. I don't know what your deal is, but I'm sorry you are so bitter with us "elitists." Maybe these chapters are known as elitists because we have reason to be. We are proud of our sorority and its accomplishments. AS far as reputations, well that depends on our actions in our school and community. We get reputations by the positive feedback of the student body. Our pride (what you have called being full of ourselves or having a bad attitude) is derived from our strong performance on campus and in the community and our wonderful members. Just because we get recognition for being involved with such a wonderful group of girls, you're angry? Sucks to live your life in such negativity.

Theta-cutie 04-09-2001 12:01 AM

OK, pbpck, here's the thing: awatters said that those girls did not have the best attitudes at his school. I think he has a right to entitle his opinion. Yes, even though I am a Theta, I can accept that not all of us are perfect. All sororities all have a few bad seeds in 'em, as well as the good seeds, too. Don't forget that awatters does not mean that all KKG's, DG's, Thetas, and Pi Phi's have bad attitudes, it's just the ones he has encountered have bad attitudes.

At my school, it's the same "ranking," except XO ranks up w/Theta, too. Also, DZ is "rated" pretty high too. BUT, we all respect each other, and no matter HOW "exclusive" we think we ought to be, it does not excuse the attitude for being stuck-up, snobby, or "elitist." Of course we are all exclusive--all Greeks included--but it DOES NOT give us the right to act that way. I think that his school's chapters probably did not conduct themselves w/pride--rather, with more "snobbery" than pride. There is a difference, you know!! Pride can be shown w/class--snobbery on the other hand, is totally different. If Theta, KKG, DG, and Pi Phi want to keep our "exclusive" rankings, we ought to refrain from acts of snobbery. My Theta chapter is VERY well respected, has a "number one" status, YET, we respect each and every sorority, as well as all GDI's! That has helped us rise to the ranks of "number one."