GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Delta Sigma Theta (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Book Thread: E. Lynn Harris News (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=28026)

OneOneTwo 05-12-2003 12:27 PM

Someone's In The Kitchen by Eric Pete

Sup Peeps,

I'd like to recommend Someone's In The Kitchen by Eric Pete.

This is a well written, fast paced novel about two friends who are impacted by what has happend in their pasts: Reggie, having his mother commit adultery at a young age and Neal, who misses the love he used to share with his wife.

Check it out. Available at your nearest Borders and Waldens book stores.

Steeltrap 05-15-2003 01:22 PM

Anybody read ZZ Packer?

This book mainly deals with stories of black teenage girls. Has anyone read this one?
BTW, I love Susan Fales-Hill's Always Wear Joy.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/15...1.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

CrimsonTide4 05-23-2003 05:31 PM

Yolanda Joe is BACK

Saw it today in MEDIA PLAY and did not buy it :eek:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/05...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
Readers who know that success isn't measured by material wealth will root for beautiful Terri Mills, a powerful attorney for the city of Chicago, who comes to understand that false values could destroy her life. Despite having grown up without parents or much money, Terri has made it big. She's riding high until her fiance, Derek Houser, cheats on her. His smooth-talking apologies are none too convincing; in fact, his smarminess and self-indulgence makes one wonder what she ever saw in the guy besides his Jaguar XJ6. Yet Joe (Babe's by Golly Wow) makes clear that it's especially difficult for a professional African-American woman to find a man who is not intimidated by her smarts. Not to mention that Terri and Derek are the perfect power couple, and Terri hates the idea of losing the fruits of their collective networking. When Terri's beloved Grandma Ollie becomes ill back home in Collingswood, Ark., Terri rushes to her bedside. There, she has time to reflect on her muddled love life, and Grandma Ollie offers additional insights by way of stories from her own youth. Distracted by Grandma Ollie's dramatic past and Derek's long-distance contrition, Terri doesn't realize that local rodeo superstar Lynnwood Conway has fallen in love with her. The unassuming ease with which Lynnwood woos Terri forces her to reconsider what and who truly makes her happy. This is a spirited fairy tale for young black professional women with an ending as predictable, and as satisfying, as one would expect.
Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc.

ClassyLady 05-23-2003 05:53 PM

On the recommendation of someone on another listserve, I picked up Heatseekers by Zane in an airport shop recently. I planned on reading it on the plane, but that didn't happen. I only got through six or seven pages before I closed the book and deposited it in the closest trash can. It was so horrible and just not my kind of book.

I don't mind a book about romance, love, and/or sex, but Zane was just downright trashy. She writes the way that you expect to hear people talking in a nightclub bathroom. Every other word was d**k or p***y. It was so unappealing. I could not take reading about professional, educated black women being portrayed as sex-driven, tasteless, promiscuous freaks.

I also picked up God's Gift to Women by Michael Baidsden. It was a good read and I finished it the day after I bought it. It was kind of reminiscent of "A Thin Line Between Love and Hate" but it was good nonetheless.

I have also just finished Mama's Girl by Veronica Chambers (it's a memoir but reads like a novel) and The Nanny Diaries (can't remember the authors but it was funny as hell.)

CrimsonTide4 05-23-2003 10:30 PM

More Books

:( :D :( :D :( :D -- feeling bittersweet; wanna buy; can't buy (a la Chris Rock's "wanna cheat, can't cheat" comedy routine)

1. Stephanie Perry Moore's A Love Like No Otha'
Surviving life's setbacks through her relationship with a man who helps restore her faith in God, Zoe Clark discovers A LOVA' LIKE NO OTHA'. When thunder and lightning strike on the morning of Zoe Clark's wedding, her seemingly perfect world is turned upside-down as she loses her fiancÈ to a pregnant girlfriend she never knew he had. With her engagement shattered, all her life's plans seem over. Unemployed, sinking deeply into depression, and wrongly blaming God for her troubles, Zoe seriously contemplates ending her life. But God sends Chase Farr to reintroduce Zoe to the importance of having God in her life. Yet when Zoe's friendship with Chase turns romantic, he suddenly backs away--further confusing Zoe with his decision to remain a virgin. Through life's twists and turns of celebration and sorrow, Zoe ultimately learns what it means to truly trust in God--but in the end, does this revelation come too late to fix things with Chase?

2. Tajuana Butler's The Night Before Thirty
A young African American female DJ, Louisa Montero, sponsors a contest to celebrate her birthday. She has a drawing to take five listeners who have the same birthday and are about to turn 30 on a cruise to the Bahamas. The winners of the Night before Thirty contest are women from across the country. Alecia Jewel Parker, from L.A., is a talented young lady who uses her beauty to get what she wants from men. Catara Edwards, from Brooklyn, is an aspiring fashion designer working at Saks as a personal shopper. Elise Ross, from Louisville, Kentucky, is a former Olympic contender and has just opened a gym in her neighborhood to teach children gymnastics. LaShawnda Davis, from Atlanta, was rescued from her meager existence and shown a different life by a black female psychiatrist. Tanya Charles, from Chicago, has been in a long-term relationship with a man who sells drugs and firearms. Each of these women comes on the cruise eager to have a good time, develop new acquaintances, and make decisions about their futures. Lillian Lewis
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

3. Michele Andrea Bowen's Second Sunday
The author of Church Folk once again takes us on a hilarious journey into the inner sanctums of African American church life. In 1970s St. Louis, members of the Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church prepare to celebrate its 100th year anniversary. However, with the unexpected death of its pastor, the church faces a terrible dilemma: finding a new pastor not only in time to prepare for the church centennial, but also in time to ensure the survival of the church itself! It seems as though everyone has a strong opinion about who the new pastor should be. Bowen weaves the hilarious stories of several church members as they plan, plot, and connive ways for their favorite candidate to win the pastorship. Will they be able to sort out their differences before the anniversary? God only knows....

4. Jacquelin Thomas' A Change is Gonna Come
A Change Is Gonna Come is the perfect title for this story about friendship, faith and forgiveness.

Ms. Thomas introduces four friends who work together at St. Paul County Human Services. To the outside looking in, these ladies have their stuff together.

Cordelia is a God fearing woman who has let her religion take over her life. Not realizing her actions have shut out her husband and daughter. A announcement from her daughter changes her life forever.

Bonnie's life revolves around the office. She has made her co-workers her family. Afraid to live after the death of her husband. She doesn't realize she is just existing day to day until a tragic circumstances with Cordelia makes her wake up.

Tangie is the perfect lady during the day and a hot mama at night. Her hatred for her mother's lifestyle has made her make decisions that will come back to haunt her.

Sabrina knows every bodies' business but her own. She thinks having a rich man to take care of her will make her life wonderful. Her dreams come true only to turn into her worst nightmare.

Ms Thomas shows with these ladies how the Lord works in everyone's life. He knows what they needed and he supplies it. He had to whip these friends back in shape and let them know that he had never left them even when they thought he did. He shuts one window only to open another one.

These ladies were co-workers who learned to be even better friends and how to trust in the Lord. He showed them that out of their sorrow goodness comes. You just have to believe that a change is gonna come.

**I need to get a book purchasing sponsor. :(**

9dstpm 05-24-2003 10:16 PM

I have OD'd on books this month. I have bought:

A Change Is Gonna Come and The Prodigal Husband by Jacquelin Thomas

Hidden Leaves (the last DeBeers Family book) and Broken Wings(a new series) by V.C. Andrews

Fever and Like Boogie on Tuesday by Linda D. Grosvenor
A Quiet Storm by Rachel Hozwell Hall
Maybe You Never Cry Again by Bernie Mac

I'm awaiting: Been There, Done That. This is the sequel to All That and a Bag of Chips by Darrien Lee. Waldenbooks told me that it should be in store the first two weeks in June.

(I have racked up some points on my Preferred Reader Card at Waldenbooks. I should be getting another certificate for a free book and another one for $10 off a book soon :))

I am currently reading: EJD's new book, The Other Woman. Once again, EJD has disappointed me with another lackluster story but on this go round, it has spawned discussions between me and Hubby.

I have the following on hold at the library:

The Night Before Thirty
Diary of A Groupie (Omar Tyree's new one)
What Becomes of the Brokenhearted
The First Things Last by Angela Johnson

Steeltrap 05-25-2003 03:54 PM

Erica Simone Turnipseed

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/00...CMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This book seems interesting. I was reading a preview of it in Essence, and it addresses intra-racial class issues, basically Bohos v. Bourgies, through the protagonists.

sphinxpoet 05-27-2003 04:04 PM

I just picked up EDJ new book the Other Woman and it looks good so far but of course I always support Frat LOL!

CrimsonTide4 06-04-2003 02:18 PM

By CALVIN WOODWARD and SIOBHAN McDONOUGH, Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton says her husband's relationship with Monica Lewinsky caused so much pain that, at one point, Buddy the dog was the only member of the family willing to keep President Clinton company

The Democratic senator from New York declares in her new memoirs that, "As a wife, I wanted to wring Bill's neck," but she finally resolved that she loved him, wanted to keep the marriage intact and supported what he was doing as president.

Mrs. Clinton vividly describes her pain over the betrayal in "Living History," covering her eight years in the White House. A copy of the book, which goes on sale Monday, was obtained by The Associated Press.

She recounts two bedside conversations seven months apart. In the first, the morning of Jan. 21, 1998, the president sat on the edge of the bed and told her the Lewinsky story was coming out and it wasn't true.

In the second, Aug. 15, 1998, the weekend before he testified about his relationship with the intern to a grand jury, the president woke her, paced the floor and said there was truth to the allegations after all.

"Why he felt he had to deceive me and others is his own story, and he needs to tell it in his own way," she writes.

Asked Wednesday about her book's account of the Lewinsky episode, the senator said only: "I hope people will read the book. This book is about many things."

Speaking outside her Senate office, she said of the keen interest in her story: "I worked very hard on it — to talk about my growing up, my values, my beliefs. And I think all of these questions people will be able to answer for themselves within the context of the entire book."

She says in the memoirs that the most difficult decisions she has made in her life were to stay married to her husband and to run for the Senate.

Her 562-page book has been highly anticipated. Simon & Schuster, expecting large sales, ordered an extraordinary first printing of 1 million copies. The first lady-turned-senator was paid a $2.85 million advance toward the $8 million book deal. Foreign rights already have been sold in 16 countries. The book's list price is $28.

In it, she acknowledges tears and turmoil, balancing her personal struggles to deal with a wayward husband with her political obligations as first lady and Senate candidate.

She says she accepted her husband's story at first — that he had befriended the White House intern when she asked for job-hunting help, had talked to her a few times — and that the relationship had been horribly misconstrued.

But on the Saturday morning before his testimony, he "told me for the first time that the situation was much more serious than he had previously acknowledged."

"He now realized he would have to testify that there had been an inappropriate intimacy," she said. "He told me that what happened between them had been brief and sporadic."

He was ashamed and knew she would be angry, she recounts.

"I could hardly breathe. Gulping for air, I started crying and yelling at him, 'What do you mean? What are you saying? Why did you lie to me?' I was furious and getting more so by the second. He just stood there saying over and over again, 'I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I was trying to protect you and Chelsea,'" their teenage daughter.

Mrs. Clinton said that up until that August morning when her husband confessed, she believed he was being railroaded. She hadn't believed he would jeopardize their marriage and family.

She describes in bitter terms the months of chill between them afterward, never more painful than when they went to Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts for a vacation following his testimony.

"Buddy, the dog, came along to keep Bill company," she writes. "He was the only member of our family who was still willing to."

While on the island, she felt "nothing but profound sadness, disappointment and unresolved anger. I could barely speak to Bill, and when I did, it was a tirade."

He slept downstairs, she slept upstairs, she said.

She said her decision to run for a Senate seat provided a healing bridge for them, allowing them to talk about something other than the future of their relationship.

Clinton was the first first lady to run for elected office, and was sworn into the Senate the same month her husband left office in January 2001. She recounted their last day at the White House, waltzing down a long hallway in her husband's arms.

She concludes that what her husband did was morally wrong but not a betrayal of the public.

Ideal08 06-04-2003 04:32 PM

Dang, I might have to pick up Hilary's book. But WHEN is it coming out?? I'd like to read it on my plane ride.

CrimsonTide4 06-04-2003 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
Mrs. Clinton vividly describes her pain over the betrayal in "Living History," covering her eight years in the White House. A copy of the book, which goes on sale Monday, was obtained by The Associated Press.

Ideal08 06-04-2003 05:10 PM

Always gotta make somebody look dumb

:mad: You know you ain't hafta make it that big!!!!! :p :p :p

CrimsonTide4 06-04-2003 05:11 PM

Re: Always gotta make somebody look dumb

Quote:

Originally posted by Ideal08
:mad: You know you ain't hafta make it that big!!!!! :p :p :p

I know that as we age, our vision tends to go bad. :D ;) :cool: :p

CrimsonTide4 06-09-2003 09:51 PM

The Hatwearer's Lesson

Man I just finished chapter 3 and OMG I want to slap Derek but go Terri.

Kudos Soror Yolanda. :D

9dstpm 06-09-2003 10:33 PM

Hillary's book is out today and $28.00 is a little too much for a book IMHO. I tried to put it on hold at my local library, but there were like 105 people already on the waiting list, so I guess I'll be saving my $$ and buying it later.