GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Delta Sigma Theta (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Book Thread: E. Lynn Harris News (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=28026)

AKA2D '91 07-08-2003 04:22 PM

Re: I LUV SOME E. LYNN HARRIS!

Quote:

Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Dayum, I can't wait until the 8th. I'll have a great read with for my flight to Vegas.

Too bad the brotha isn't coming to the AA Bookstop. :rolleyes: I need my other books autographed. :(

Noooootttttttt! I went to the bookstore today. The release date has been pushed back to next Tuesday. :mad:

CrimsonTide4 07-08-2003 04:27 PM

Re: Re: I LUV SOME E. LYNN HARRIS!

Quote:

Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Noooootttttttt! I went to the bookstore today. The release date has been pushed back to next Tuesday. :mad:

R U SERIOUS?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!??!!?!?!? GIRL I was gonig today. I just got my E. Lynn e-mail and HE SAID TODAY!!!

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

let me call Media Play.

OthelloStreet 07-08-2003 06:33 PM

Barnes N Noble & Borders

Both have the book. It is also possible that the title has sold out, particularly in areas where he will be doing booksignings this week and next week, as this was a HIGHLY ANTICIPATED title. I do hope that you find the book because it is a good read and will help you understand his books better IMO.

I did good to get an advance copy yesterday. See my post in the Alpha Board.

AKA2D '91 07-08-2003 08:46 PM

I went to BNN this afternoon. That's when I came here to post what the lady said. Doggone it! He's not coming to the NO area on this tour. I don't know why, he usually does. :confused:

CrimsonTide4 07-09-2003 08:56 PM

I got it today for $16 at Media Play -- well actually $11 because of some specials and what not.

I bought some more books as well but I will have to tell which ones later.

:p

carnation 07-09-2003 11:04 PM

I am certain that Lynn will mention that he dropped Carnation TWICE on a football field back in the day. LOL!!!!!

CrimsonTide4 07-27-2003 10:03 PM

DIRTY LAUNDRY by Paula Woods (cl)

The mean streets of Los Angeles have never been more sinister, or more human. In the third installment of her award-winning Charlotte Justice novels, City of Angels-based Paula Woods has gracefully delivered what may be her richest, most compelling thriller to date. Everyone in Los Angeles’s Koreatown seals secrets. . . and it’s up to Charlotte and her team at the LAPD’s elite Robbery/Homicide Division to pry them loose. In a rare blend of mystery, suspense, and unflinching social critique of urban, multi-ethnic America, Woods’s African-American protagonist craftily wends her way through different ethnic communities and cultures, trying to solve a murder. But how will Charlotte balance her drive for justice with her budding feelings for Aubry Scott, the emergency room physician? As she struggles to keep her professional and emotional worlds separated, Justice’s investigation plunges her into the deep roots that define family and loyalty, and she discovers that everybody has got DIRTY LAUNDRY.

Coming up: TROUBLE MAN by Travis Hunter (hardcover, fiction) Travis Hunter, author of THE HEARTS OF MEN and MARRIED BUT STILL LOOKING has been voted Atlanta Author of the Year by the readers of the Atlanta Daily World newspaper!!

INNER-COURSE: A PLEA FOR REAL LOVE by Toni Blackman (hardcover,poetry) Praise for Toni Blackman “Toni Blackman is a poet, MC, oral historian, and truth-teller. Just as Langston Hughes and the Beat writers embraced jazz as a way to frame their pursuit of higher truths, Blackman grabs the mic literally as if life depended on it, carving for herself a space where words are sacred, and where her literary objectives soar.” —Kevin Powell, editor of STEP INTO A WORLD: A GLOBAL ANTHOLOGY FOR THE NEW BLACK LITERATURE

SOME THINGS I NEVER THOUGHT I’D DO by Pearl Cleage
With the unique blend of truth and humor that made her first novel, WHAT LOOKS LIKE CRAZY ON AN ORDINARY DAY a huge bestseller, Pearl Cleage returns with an extraordinary novel that is rich in character, steeped in sisterhood, and bursting with unexpected love, and maybe just a little magic.

CrimsonTide4 08-20-2003 08:04 PM

Upcoming books. ..

I'm at work (20 more minutes) and was surfing Amazon looking to see when Lolita Files will grace us with her writing presence again.

YALL THERE ARE SOME BOOKS COMING OUT the 2nd 1/2 of the year that I am pumped for. . .

The Interruprtion of Everything by Terry McMillan
Since Terry McMillan's breakout novel Waiting To Exhale surged onto the bestseller lists, critics and readers alike have been captivated by her irreverent, often-hilarious take on the issues faced by contemporary women. With The Interruption of Everything she picks up, pitch-perfect, the dilemmas of midlife: an empty nest. Hormones gone wild. Too many irrelevant demands and too little room to breathe.

Marilyn Grimes is about ready to jump out of her skin. She's the consummate wife and mother of three grown kids. She's got a no-great-shakes-but-a-good-provider of a husband, Leon; and a live-in mother-in-law, Arthurine, who comes with a bingo-playing beau, Prezell, and an elderly pooch, Snuffy. Marilyn's two best friends, Paulette and Bunny, are the quintessential take-no-prisoners, vintage McMillan girlfriends who will be there when Marilyn jumps, but . . . she's just not sure exactly where that will be . . . or when. First, she needs to remember what she used to love and call back some of her own postponed dreams. But just as Marilyn's plans for making changes are taking shape, life comes up with a few twists of its own. Suddenly Marilyn must reinvent just about everything: marriage, friendship, family-and not least of all, herself.

The Interruption of Everything (12/03) is a triumphant testament to the fact that the detour is the path, and living life "by the numbers" never quite adds up.

Other books and their release dates. . .
Too Much of a Good Thing by Kimberla Lawson Roby 1/2004
Tastes Like Chicken by Lolita Files 1/2004
Naughty or Nice by Eric Jerome Dickey 11/03
Nervous by Zane 12/03
The Greatest Pretenders by E. Lynn Harris 6/04
Love Is Stronger Than Pride by E. Lynn Harris 5/11/04

Terry's book was the only one with a summary. . .I will keep you updated as I think of more authors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found some more. . .

A Family Affair by Marcus Major 1/2004
Marcus Major brings back the beloved characters from his Blackboard bestselling debut novel, hailed for its "wise commentary on the modern black family . . . hilarious, entertaining, sometimes outrageous" (Publishers Weekly).

A Man Most Worthy, Marcus Major's last novel, was lauded for its "heady mix of sex, lies, and intrigue" (Romantic Times). USA Today called Major's novella in Got to Be Real "superbly handled." And Eric Jerome Dickey crowned Major's first novel, Good Peoples, "an impressive debut that brings to life the people we know." Now several of the characters who most captured readers' imaginations are reunited in a lively and poignant new book that goes deep into the heart of what makes a family.

When readers meet up with the Moore clan again, Myles and Marisa are celebrating their recent marriage, while Kenya and Amir have their hands full with their rambunctious seven-year-old twins. But Jasmine, Myles and Amir's teenage cousin, is rebelling against everything her family believes in. That is, until a stunning secret comes to light from the older generation that could tear this special family apart.

Written with a Major dose of passion, humor, and profound insight into modern relationships, this is a sexy and captivating novel from one of our most exceptional African-American authors.

Trouble Man by Travis Hunter (8/2003)
Using What You Got by Karen Quinones Miller (reading this now; chapter 4; has a THE COLDEST WINTER EVER feel to it)

Gina1201 08-20-2003 09:09 PM

YEAH!!!!

It looks like I will definitely be getting my read on over the next few months. I will have to keep an eye out for when these books are released. I would love to talk about a few of them for the book club.

Jill1228 08-21-2003 05:32 AM

I will be all over Terry McMillian's new book. I will be stalking Costco as soon as it comes out!

lostnfound117 08-21-2003 01:06 PM

I'd like to recommend the following books for GREAT reading:

"Child of God" by Lolita Files
"Hearts of Men" by Travis Hunter
"One Better" Roslyn McMillan
"Blessings" by Sheneska Jackson

delph998 08-21-2003 05:02 PM

Books, books, and more books!!!

Oh my goodness, Soror CrimsonTide! Thanks for updating me on the upcoming books.

I'm currently reading Eric Jerome Dickey's latest one "THE OTHER WOMAN"...good stuff!

Last week I finished THIEVES PARADISE and WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKENHEARTED. I can't believe that EJD is coming out with another one. E. Lynn Harris, two more! Kimberla Lawson Roby, another one...that's great reading right there.

Who has gotten Mary Monroe's latest, GONNA LAY DOWN MY BURDENS? I purchased that last week and will start reading it when I'm done with THE OTHER WOMAN! Great readings! Oh, and Terry McMillan...I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

BOOK CLUB, HERE WE GO!

Jill1228 08-24-2003 02:12 PM

No way girl! :D I am getting into his books too!

Quote:

Originally posted by carnation
I am certain that Lynn will mention that he dropped Carnation TWICE on a football field back in the day. LOL!!!!!

CrimsonTide4 08-25-2003 05:53 PM

I read Using What You Got by Karen Quinones Miller (I'm Telling and Satin Doll) this weekend. It read like a much shorter, less detailed combo of Flyy Girl and The Coldest Winter Ever. I read it because I had to see how it turned out, but in my mind it was not of the same quality as The Coldest Winter Ever.

Has anyone else read it?

CrimsonTide4 09-09-2003 04:36 PM

ttt for Gamma Girl :D