GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Fraternity insight (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=102859)

migreek 02-01-2009 08:14 PM

Fraternity insight

Junior in high school with interest in joining a fraternity in college. Could you give me a insight of the greek life/ fraternity, share your own experiences if any.

nate2512 02-01-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migreek (Post 1773451)
Junior in high school with interest in joining a fraternity in college. Could you give me a insight of the greek life/ fraternity, share your own experiences if any.

Don't take information from stupid people, as it looks like you already have. Sit back and WATCH what goes on here, if you have a question ask don't argue.

J.A.P.A.N. 05-22-2009 01:01 PM

Insight

First let me say that you must do your research. It is very important that you learn about the fraternity, founding principles as well as history. I was eager and ready to pledge my freshmen year, but I knew I wasn't ready. I didn't want to jump into a fraternity, and then 5 years later not like the frat, because joing a fraternity is a life-long commitment with men of similar goals and values. My 2nd year in College I joined a fraternity, and have been loving it since, I can see myself 30 years from now still actively involved with the fraternity. The bond I share with brothers is crazy. My fraternity is like a support system, someone is always there, and you always have someonw to depend on. Just remember that joining a fraternity isn't about partying and wearing letters, you MUST WORK for the organization and give back.

ScarletBlueGold 05-23-2009 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.A.P.A.N. (Post 1811394)
First let me say that you must do your research. It is very important that you learn about the fraternity, founding principles as well as history. I was eager and ready to pledge my freshmen year, but I knew I wasn't ready. I didn't want to jump into a fraternity, and then 5 years later not like the frat, because joing a fraternity is a life-long commitment with men of similar goals and values. My 2nd year in College I joined a fraternity, and have been loving it since, I can see myself 30 years from now still actively involved with the fraternity. The bond I share with brothers is crazy. My fraternity is like a support system, someone is always there, and you always have someonw to depend on. Just remember that joining a fraternity isn't about partying and wearing letters, you MUST WORK for the organization and give back.

Bravo

The best tip I can give you is to shop around. Visit all of the Fraternities you can, and weigh the pros and cons of each one. You will bond with these guys a lot

The worst thing you could do would be to pick your Fraternity based on how nice the house looks or how many job connections you think you will get from joining.

You can live in a nice house anywhere, and the people in your Fraternity won't give you any job connections if you never establish a close relationship with them in the first place.

jsamander 05-23-2009 09:49 PM

Go through rush, and if you still dont feel as if you know which to pick be honest with them. Most will not hold it against you.

Ruckette 06-13-2009 01:23 PM

Suggestions
- Rush LOTS of houses (if applicable) Find one that fits you, don't join for the sake of letter
- Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT pledge your first semester. Make independent friends and watch what people who do pledge go through.
- don't drink heavily durring rush. (note, I didn't say don't drink at all) You actually have to remember your nights in order to actually know if you want to join these men (and possibly women) in eternal bonds of brotherhood.
- Hit up the smaller houses. Not that big houses are bad, but there are some gems to be found in smaller houses. They are also very different.
- If/when you rush, bid, pledge et cetera be sure to keep non-greek and other greek friends. Don't let the house you're joining consume your life. There may be a time later you will want to get away from fraternity drama
- Don't listen to what other people tell you about other houses. We are all greeks, show some respect. Also, think for yourself and don't be a sheep. Don't just rush the houses where the other peopleon your dorm floor are.

Most importantly
HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE!

33girl 06-13-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckette (Post 1816615)
Suggestions
- Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT pledge your first semester. Make independent friends and watch what people who do pledge go through.

Depending what school you are at, this may not be advice you should follow. At some schools/chapters, it is more difficult to get a bid if you are older and not all places have rush in the spring semester.

AlphaFrog 06-14-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckette (Post 1816615)
Suggestions

Can you please start prefacing your advice with the fact that you're in a co-ed non-NPC/IFC at a small, uncompetitive private college, and that your experience has nothing to do with 96% of other Greek life? KTHXBI. :rolleyes:

33girl 06-14-2009 12:33 PM

Actually it is an NIC group but I don't understand how they swing the co-ed thing either.

KSigkid 06-14-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1816650)
Depending what school you are at, this may not be advice you should follow. At some schools/chapters, it is more difficult to get a bid if you are older and not all places have rush in the spring semester.

Agreed - it really depends on the campus. It's really hard to give general advice when there are such differences between universities and chapters within those universities.

Elephant Walk 06-15-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1816713)
Can you please start prefacing your advice with the fact that you're in a co-ed non-NPC/IFC at a small, uncompetitive private college, and that your experience has nothing to do with 96% of other Greek life? KTHXBI. :rolleyes:

Haha wow. A tude.

That's something I would've said. Plus, if it's co-ed and non-NPC, it's probably more like 98%.

Along with what she said, your more likely to need to rush as a freshman in the fall semester (Unless they only allow spring rush), than as sophmore in terms of competitiveness.

Oh and...
Quote:

- If/when you rush, bid, pledge et cetera be sure to keep non-greek and other greek friends. Don't let the house you're joining consume your life. There may be a time later you will want to get away from fraternity drama
No. You won't have any time for GDI friends depending on where you rush because you'll be too busy conducting important greek stuff and they'll be too busy playing Playstation or World of Warcraft or whatever it is they do in their free time.

Now that I'm all graduated I can say these things.

MysticCat 06-15-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephant Walk (Post 1817156)
Plus, if it's co-ed and non-NPC, it's probably more like 98%.

Like 33girl said, Psi Upsilon is an NIC/IFC fraternity -- the fifth oldest fraternity in the country, actually. It's one the Union Triad, founded in 1833.

AlphaFrog 06-16-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephant Walk (Post 1817156)
Haha wow. A tude.

I still have my moments every now and then.;)

MysticCat 06-21-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1816741)
Actually it is an NIC group but I don't understand how they swing the co-ed thing either.

While in Chapel Hill for a wedding yesterday, I was reminded that there is at least one other co-ed NIC fraternity: Delta Psi (commonly known as St. Anthony Hall), founded in 1847 at Columbia. It has been co-ed since 1969. It is small -- only 10 chapters, and though it is an NIC member, I think it calls itself a literary society these days. It has quite a pedigree, though. References to it appear in F. Scott Fitzgerald's works.