GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Locals (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   What steps do I need to take to start a non-collegiate sorority? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=87086)

lw69_00 05-09-2007 09:10 AM

What steps do I need to take to start a non-collegiate sorority?

I and a very special group of ladies are looking to start our own Non-Collegiate sorority. We would like to know what our first step should be. Help if you can.

Thanks in Advance Dee

MsDGP007 05-13-2007 03:27 PM

I am not sure, but I would think that your first goal should be incorporation and recognition of being a legit non-profit organization. The requirements for incorportation vary by state, but in most instances, you have to have a constitution (or business plan) and bylaws set up before you do that. In the meantime, you can focus on recrruiting a dedicated core membership. Establishing a brand new sorority is hard, hard work. I would suggest quality over quantity at these early stages. Good luck!

twotimestalia 05-30-2007 11:58 AM

Beta Sigma Phi

Have you looked into Beta Sigma Phi??:confused:

OneTimeSBX 05-30-2007 12:05 PM

lw, what type of sorority are you looking to join? i am in a non-collegiate sorority, and we are a member of the National American Greek Council, i think there is a link for information if you find the website...good luck!

jubilance1922 05-30-2007 12:09 PM

There are plenty of non-collegiate sororities out there.

Google is your friend.

OrigamiTulip 05-30-2007 12:29 PM

First - thouroughly research ALL of the non-collegiate sororities around today. Then after you have researched ALL of them, come back to Greekchat and intellegently articulate what makes your potential NCS different from the other existing groups. If your potential sorority really is going to serve a purpose unmet by what is currently out there, and you can demonstrate that its more than just a case of founderitis, folks around here might be able to offer you some advice.

Here is a place to start researching some of them - http://www.communitysororities.org There are 28 listed there, and I know there are quite a few more that aren't on that site yet.

Jaywash2010 11-05-2008 08:31 PM

help

Hi my name is Jasmyne And Want to be in a High School sorority but dont know which one:confused:

33girl 11-05-2008 11:30 PM

Sororities are for college students not high schoolers. Join the Pep Club or the newspaper staff instead.

OPhiAGinger 11-06-2008 01:04 AM

33Girl, sisterhood takes many forms and can be an important source of support for women of any age, particularly those who are going through the turbulent high school years. Although high school sororities aren't nearly as common as those that maintain chapters at colleges and universities, there are parts of the country where sororities are part of the high school culture.

Jasmyne, do you currently have one or more sororities in your high school? It's not clear whether you're asking for advice on joining one that already exists at your school, or whether you're asking how to bring a high school sorority to your school.

herexcellency 12-21-2008 12:37 AM

why discourage new orgs?

Why are people trying to get this girl to either join their organization or discourage her from forming a new sorority? The constitution gives us a right to organize under a name and/or affliate with a group with certain beliefs. She doesn't need to meet a "need" in society to form an organization, the need she is meeting might be a personal one. Anyway....young lady, if you want to start your own sorority, go right ahead. The person with the advice about incorporating and recruiting is correct in her comment. I, too, am starting my own community organization. My only purpose is to recognize women and men of excellence and to encorage an atmosphere of attaining their highest heights. I applaud people who are bold enough to chart their own path. Good luck in your formation!

33girl 12-21-2008 02:08 AM

Because too many people start a new group to be "something different" only to find out a year or two down the road, after much work and discouragement, that there was ALREADY a group out there that would have met their needs. "A very special group of ladies" doesn't exactly scream new and different, nor does "women and men of excellence." It's like the corporatespeak that says nothing. Founderitis is a very dangerous disease, and should be cured ASAP.

OPhiAGinger - too many high school sororities are run without any sort of a governing board like NPC or NPHC to keep things fair among groups and keep them from turning into nothing more than cliques, and with little adult input to help regulate risk. I don't think these groups (unless affiliated with a national GLO or an adult organization) are a good idea.

ZTA72 12-21-2008 03:08 PM

I grew up the the South where there were ( and still are) many high school sororites. I was an officer in mine and I don't remember much , if any, adult involvement. We had formals, etc, that would have needed an adult to bind contracts. We must have had someone's parents to do so. That was way back before the day of risk management and thank goodness nothing adverse happened during my years in the group. Wow, I haven't thought about that aspect in years.
You are right, 33girl, it was very cliqueish. A lot of those groups have gone by the wayside. It's probably a good thing. College is a better environment for sorority life.

Amethyst One 01-01-2009 02:59 AM

No offense but ADULT LIFE is cliqueish. Why is it that when adults talk to teens they pretend that they will leave their school years and suddenly the plain will be BFF with the gorgeous and the people with scads of money will invite the barley making it to christmas dinner? Our society is segregated in many ways and school life prepares us for that reality. If more people would fess up to that young people would get their hearts broken less. The chick spouting about this subject is I believe the same person who referred to a particular sorority as the "fat house" so what gives? I belonged to a high school sorority founded in '89 by me and 5 friends. It still exists at my HS today. There is nothing wrong with creating instead of just joining. Follow your heart and your own path. Let the sheep blink in jealousy.

Amethyst One 01-01-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1741045)
Sororities are for college students not high schoolers. Join the Pep Club or the newspaper staff instead.

So should you be forced to leave the GLO when you graduate from college?

knight_shadow 01-02-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst One (Post 1760079)
No offense but ADULT LIFE is cliqueish. Why is it that when adults talk to teens they pretend that they will leave their school years and suddenly the plain will be BFF with the gorgeous and the people with scads of money will invite the barley making it to christmas dinner? Our society is segregated in many ways and school life prepares us for that reality. If more people would fess up to that young people would get their hearts broken less. The chick spouting about this subject is I believe the same person who referred to a particular sorority as the "fat house" so what gives? I belonged to a high school sorority founded in '89 by me and 5 friends. It still exists at my HS today. There is nothing wrong with creating instead of just joining. Follow your heart and your own path. Let the sheep blink in jealousy.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst One (Post 1760080)
So should you be forced to leave the GLO when you graduate from college?

That doesn't have anything to do with what 33girl was saying.