GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Starting A Sorority (HELP!!) (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=78509)

Absolut_Andrea 06-04-2006 11:38 PM

Starting A Sorority (HELP!!)

Hey, Im new to this so I'm browsing a bit to find my answer but just in case I don't I decided to ask.....

I am in a social group that promotes plus size beauty and self esteem, a few of us wanted to branch off and start a sorority because the group just deal with modeling and fashion, some of us actually want to make a difference in our community. Now I could have pledge at my school but my school doesn't have one because it's a school for working adults and I'm a single mom.

We tried to join a chapter that had the same ideas as us but they are located so far from us and expected us to travel for initiations and etc, all our contacts would be through phone and email, so we decided to start one ourselves, some of us are in school like myself and then some aren't some are working professionals.

So what would be the first step for us?

Thanks..

SigKapCoug 06-05-2006 12:20 AM

Have you considered starting a chapter of the sorority that you liked?

AlphaFrog 06-05-2006 07:21 AM

I'm not a single mom, I have my husband to help and I would not have time to worry about starting a sorority. There are priorities, and when your a single mom, I would say starting a sorority ranks about 500th on the list. If there really are several people in your postion...how about a CLUB??

adpiucf 06-05-2006 09:15 AM

Check out the locals board. But agreeing with the above poster, starting a sorority is a lot of effort...

mccoyred 06-05-2006 10:21 AM

Wasn't there a plus size sorority started recently? I know that there is a thread around here somewhere about that...

Absolut_Andrea 06-05-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I'm not a single mom, I have my husband to help and I would not have time to worry about starting a sorority. There are priorities, and when your a single mom, I would say starting a sorority ranks about 500th on the list. If there really are several people in your postion...how about a CLUB??
I understand what you are saying, and trust me I have tons of priorities and I'm on top of all of them. The first thing I thought about was if I was going to have time to start one being that I have a child, I have a job, etc and I do, Im not the only single mother who wants to start it, most of us are grown women with kids and our kids can be involved, but I don't know why I'm explaining this to you..

Absolut_Andrea 06-05-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mccoyred
Wasn't there a plus size sorority started recently? I know that there is a thread around here somewhere about that...
There is one, but it's not local the main chapter is in Florida, Im in the D.C area, and the closet chapter to me is Philidelphia. They want us to travel to them for initiations and what not, and all contact is through email and it seem like our responses were not met when we tried to contact them, there are to many hoops to go through so we decided to start our own.

Ch2tf 06-05-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Absolut_Andrea
There is one, but it's not local the main chapter is in Florida, Im in the D.C area, and the closet chapter to me is Philidelphia. They want us to travel to them for initiations and what not, and all contact is through email and it seem like our responses were not met when we tried to contact them, there are to many hoops to go through so we decided to start our own.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are too many loops to go through when starting your own sorority. And when it comes to pledging an already existing, relatively young organization, travel is going to be a part of the process. If you want it you work for it/do what it takes to attain the goal.

AlphaFrog 06-05-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, and trust me I have tons of priorities and I'm on top of all of them. The first thing I thought about was if I was going to have time to start one being that I have a child, I have a job, etc and I do, Im not the only single mother who wants to start it, most of us are grown women with kids and our kids can be involved, but I don't know why I'm explaining this to you..

Kids involved?? Like I said before, you're not looking for a sorority, you're looking for a C-L-U-B. Call it the Mu Omicron Mu Club, have t-shirts made, knock yourselves out.

Really, why are you looking specifically at a sorority??

Absolut_Andrea 06-05-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ch2tf
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are too many loops to go through when starting your own sorority. And when it comes to pledging an already existing, relatively young organization, travel is going to be a part of the process. If you want it you work for it/do what it takes to attain the goal.
I understand what you're saying, but is it possible to branch off from a local sorority. I'm able to pledge at Howard only because my school has no chapter, hell no social organizations at all, but the other females aren't because most are not in school like me. I did think about doing the whole club thing but I'm already in one, and they are just about fashion and modeling, and partying, I wanted to actually reach out to the community..

zchi2 06-05-2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

Kids involved?? Like I said before, you're not looking for a sorority, you're looking for a C-L-U-B. Call it the Mu Omicron Mu Club, have t-shirts made, knock yourselves out.

Actually there is already a sorority called "Mu Omicron Mu. Sorry I don't have the address to the website but I'm sure the resourceful people on this site can find it for you;)

Absolut_Andrea 06-05-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

I wanted to join a sorority because of the sisterhood, the networking and to help change my community. Like I said in a previous post I can join through another school being that I'm still a traditional college student, but the others cant. All the negativity your'e giving is not really called for.

AlphaFrog 06-05-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:

I did think about doing the whole club thing but I'm already in one, and they are just about fashion and modeling, and partying, I wanted to actually reach out to the community..
That's one great thing about clubs, they are not exclusive of eachother like sororities are. You can be in however many clubs you want to be in. And, if you're having a problem with the one you're in now, you can leave that one and join or start a different one, no big deal. No so with a sorority.

33girl 06-05-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

I wanted to join a sorority because of the sisterhood, the networking and to help change my community. Like I said in a previous post I can join through another school being that I'm still a traditional college student, but the others cant. All the negativity your'e giving is not really called for.
So in other words, your sorority won't be campus based?

There are already several sororities for adult women like this.

AlphaFrog 06-05-2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

There's a difference between being negative and being realistic.