GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Advice to pnms beginning their College/University experience… (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=68924)

XAntoftheSkyX 01-20-2009 07:41 PM

Don't be afraid to try different things. No matter if its ballroom dance, inter-mural sports, the debate team, if you are interested GO FOR IT! Don't overload yourself with activities, but this is one of the few times to start over and be who you want to be.

Also, the biggest thing I noticed was the change in time commitment. In high school I was in class for 7 hours a day and did about 1-2 hours of homework a night on top of after-school activities. College came, and now I have about 4 hours of class a day and a lot more time spent studying, reading and doing other work to prepare for class.

While living in the dorms, THE MAINTAINERS ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS. Get to know them, say hi if you pass them in the hall. The happier they are, the happier you will be when you have nice clean bathrooms, lounges and hallways.

LionTamer 01-31-2009 11:04 AM

Take advantage of all the amazing things offered to students are sharply discounted prices: great theater, the pool, the golf course(s).

Although I did take full advantage of the big, gorgeous ice-cold Natatorium waters 2-3 times a week to swim laps, I didn't discover that Penn State had 2 amazing golf courses until my senior year, where students were charged very low greens fees.

Didn't discover theater until I HAD to go for an elective theater course, and then regretted all the nights I spent going to bars and parties, when I could have mixed in some top-notch low-price/free theater and still popped into a party later for a beer or two.

KSUViolet06 02-17-2009 04:15 AM

Here's a good one:

If you end up joining a sorority, please don't think you're going to be INSTANT best friends with every girl in the chapter.

Just like every new situation in life, making friends takes time.

So please don't be alarmed if you've been in the chapter for 2 weeks and everyone isn't like, totally your best friend. It takes longer than your new member period to build friendships.

Also, don't sit back and expect older members to make ALL the effort to get to know you. You have to make some effort on your part to make friends too.

sunnyhibiscus 07-18-2009 04:59 PM

*bump*

It's that time of year again.

-If you are staying at the dorm, before you move in, read the rules and regulations on what you can have and can't have. For instance, heating appliances (i.e. coffee machines, toasters, George Foreman grills) are a big no-no in dorms due to fire hazards. Leave them at home unless you want to be fined.

-If you are unable to have your own computer by the start of school, don't worry. Just know where the computer labs are (especially 24 hour ones). Your dorm might have a computer lab. The nice thing with me is that I once live on the same floor where the computer lab was. With the 24 hour labs that are not available your dorm, make sure that your are not walking alone at night to go to those labs.

-Before the first day of classes, pull out your schedule and campus map and find the buildings and rooms for your classes. In that way, things will be easier.

-And yes to snail mail. Keep in mind that some of your family members don't own a computer or don't know how to use one.

KSUViolet06 08-03-2013 01:27 PM

Bumping!

CaseyBat 08-03-2013 01:35 PM

Thank you for bumping this!

DeltaBetaBaby 10-31-2013 02:51 PM

I have one! If you submit an assignment that is identical to another student's, down to the formatting and highlighting colors, don't try to convince the professor that you didn't cheat.

ASTalumna06 10-31-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2247998)
I have one! If you submit an assignment that is identical to another student's, down to the formatting and highlighting colors, don't try to convince the professor that you didn't cheat.

Haha, um... this actually happens?!

DeltaBetaBaby 10-31-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2248001)
Haha, um... this actually happens?!

Yeah, the excuses I heard today were brilliant.