PDA

View Full Version : A little confused

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 03:37 AM
Hi, my name is Kathy. I pledged KD at the start of this school year, and was very excited about starting my sorority life in college. It has been great and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I am a little confused about some aspects of it though. The new pledges (including me) have not been told any rituals about KD; such as songs and what AOT means. Its not that I am dying to know what AOT means (I know many people not associated with KD ask), but I feel that I am not yet accepted with the older girls. My pledge sisters feel the same way. I was just wondering if it is normal to "not" be told rituals after you've been a full-fledged member for over 6-months. They also tell us that they we won't find out the rituals for at least another year.

Kathy
Love n' AOT (whatever it means, lol)

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Kathy,

You cannot and will not find out ritual until initiation. Different schools do initiation at different times. My school will hold initiation for our new members in February. Some schools initate after that and before that.

However, until you are initiated no one is able to reveal those secrets to you. As a matter of fact.. we online can't share that information with you regardless. You will have to wait until initiation and then from there you will learn all of the secrets to Kappa Delta.

We do this for the protection of these secrets. If we didn't wait until iniation girls would drop after knowing ritual and then we would have a breech of our secrets.

I hope that makes sense.

AOT is something that only Initiated members know and understand. We cannot reveal that until initiation.

Hold out for initiation.. it will be worth it.

In KD Honor and AOT,
Shannon Kish

BGKdLady
01-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Kathy,

I'm just curious as to why you've been a "full-fledged" member for 6-months and haven't been initiated? The pledge/new-member period is now only 6 weeks.

As Shannon said, when you are initiated you will learn ritual and not before. I think most other GLO's will attest that their groups work in the same manner.

Good luck.

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm just curious as to why you've been a "full-fledged" member for 6-months and haven't been initiated? The pledge/new-member period is now only 6 weeks.

BKD... Some schools, like mine require you to be at that school for at least a semester before you can be intiated... however I don't understand the six months thing.

BGKdLady
01-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Shannon - your school still requires this? (I can't remember if you are a collegian or alum). Ours used to, in order to get the grade requirement, and in my opinion it was a good thing, but I was under the impression that Nat'l had required all to change to 6 weeks.

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 03:32 PM
I am a collegian... and yeah... Unless you are a transfer.. you have to wait a semester to be initiated.

BGKdLady
01-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Shannon,

I think that's good. I think it's great to have a semester's worth of grades before initiating someone, especially since our chapter recruits freshmen before right when school starts.. I was under the impression that Natl had changed all chapters.

I still don't understand Kathy's comments that she had been a "full fledged" member for *over* 6 mths. Or that she wouldn't learn ritual for yet another year. Someone must be messing with her.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Well the thing that confuses me, is that we have been through initiation and the first semester. Also they told us we won't be told any rituals until at least another year. That was why I was confused. I understand not telling people until initiation.

Kathy

BGKdLady
01-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Hi Kathy,

If you've been through initiation, then you heard ritual - and also what AOT means. It's all there, although I will admit, it's easy to miss it. Any initiated member should be able to review ritual with the chapter president or even read through the ritual book. What chapter are you from??

kddani
01-21-2003, 04:36 PM
I tried to post earlier, but GC wouldn't let me.

If you were initiated, you would know very well what AOT means. It's a big deal, something you would be listening for.

My money is that you're not a KD It's been done before, it'll be done again.

If you are a KD, what's your chapter, school, etc?

New members go through their first ritual within a few days of getting their bids. So you can't say that you haven't done any ritual.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 04:53 PM
First let me say that I am very upset with the negative feedback I have been receiving. I am simply confused about what is going on and don't appreciate being called a fake or that I am "BS'ing". I THOUGHT that we have been through ritual initiation b/c we are considered part of the chapter, but since all of you say that if we have been through it we would know this stuff, then no I guess we haven't been. I "NEVER" once asked anybody to tell me the meaning of AOT or sing me a ritual song (Scroll up and READ!!), I just want some information b/c it seems that we should know this stuff by now, b/c we did have some sort of initiation. Obviously I am not going to get any help here from who are supposed to be my sisters.

Kathy

PS- KDDani, if you knew how to read you would realize that I never asked about specifics of rituals in KD. So what would be my purpose if I was a fake or had my head in the clouds? You need to relax and quit judging people so fast. Get your head out of the clouds.

AchtungBaby80
01-21-2003, 04:53 PM
I am not a KD, obviously (although you all are great!), so I hope you don't mind my crashing your board. I felt like I had to chime in, though, in light of the last post. Yes, it is possible to go through an initiation and not pick up on signifcant things, because I did it myself. I have no knowledge of Kappa Delta's ritual, but if it is anything like mine, some things are quite easy to miss. If what you are saying is true, KD4Life, then just do what I did--go get out your chapter's ritual book. If you are an initiated member, you should be able to see it (at least, that's true in my sorority--and I have a hard time believing that you would be denied knowledge of any rituals as an initiated member). That should clear things up for you.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Thank you AchtungBaby80. Nice to see somebody willing to help.

Kathy

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 05:03 PM
I don't give personal information out over the Internet. If I was trying to prove something or find out secret information, it might be relevant, but since I was just asking a few simple questions I don't find it necessary. Guess that makes me a fake huh?

Kathy

BGKdLady
01-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Kathy,

You said "but since all of you say that if we have been through it we would know this stuff, then no I guess we haven't been" - I just CAN'T imagine not knowing if you have been through initiation or not. It's a pretty major event that you look forward to during your entire new member period.

Yes, it is easy to miss ritual explanations during initiation. Believe me, as president, when I read through the ritual book getting ready for initiation I had several "a-ha" moments - LOL. But I find it hard to believe you wouldn't know if you went through it or not.

Again, what chapter are you from???

kddani
01-21-2003, 05:13 PM
I'm just calling a spade a spade.

How could you not know if you went through initiation?????? It would be one thing to miss a detail or two, but to not even know if what you went through was initiation?

You continuously evade giving us ANY information. I can understand not wanting to disclose personal information, but it's ridiculous that you won't even name your chapter.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 05:14 PM
Look, this isn't a big deal. I will talk to the older girls and get this worked out. Thanks for the help guys. I know what has happened to me, I am not a moron, and I honestly don't have time to bicker over what YOU GUYS think has happened to me and what YOU can't believe. Just remember that I never asked for ritual information, I simply wanted some information from sisters who had been through it all.

Kathy

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Kathy...

Our other Fallon never asked for ritual information right off the bat either... as a matter of fact.. she provided us with accurate information... once she got her foot in the door... she then started probing for more information.

I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't know if you have been through initiation or not. I also find it hard to believe that you have to wait a year before this.

Everything you have said goes against Kappa Delta's policies and our Ritual.. so that makes it even more unbelievable.

BTW... we don't have any KD chapters in Wisconsin.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Is there an echo in here? I know that you can't believe it. And not that it is any of your business or that you will believe this anyway, but I am FROM Wisconsin, I don't go to school there. I don't understand why you are trying to discredit me anyway. And who is Fallon?

Kathy

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Kathy,

Fallon is another person that tried to get pose as a KD.

Also.... I just want to know the Chapter you pledged at...

That is it.. not personal... not at all.

kddani
01-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Every response of yours has been belligerent to anyone who questions you. We always ask members that are new to GC what chapter they're from. Especially if somone has questions, most of us are pretty connected and chances are that we know someone from that chapter. A lot of us are chapter or AA officers, with even a few NOs on here too.

When you evade a simple, innocent, common question and then ask questions that don't make sense, you set off an alarm.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Honestly, its not like I came in here and said, "Hey, I'm a KD from somewhere, and forgot what AOT meant. Can somebody please tell me?" I don't want any information like that, I just wanted to know if what was happening to me was normal. You guys have completely turned this around like I am so loser who just wants to squeeze information out of you. Whats the deal? I don't understand why I am being treated like this.

Kathy

kddani
01-21-2003, 05:38 PM
it's certainly not normal to not know if you were initiated or not

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 05:39 PM
I need to be friendlier to my sisters? I came in here praising KD and asked a simple question. You are the ones not being friendly to me. I'm sorry that I am not an officer and that I haven't been told a lot of information, thats why I came here and asked.

Kathy

kddani
01-21-2003, 05:41 PM
well then exactly what kind of info do you want? there was no clear cut question, everything is vague and doesn't make sense to any of us

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 05:42 PM
And yet you are still avoiding a simpler question..

WHAT CHAPTER ARE YOU FROM?

Are you avoiding this because you don't want to reveal the fact that you aren't a KD to us?

At least be intellegent enough to go to the KD website and pick a chapter... here.. I will help you..

http://www.kappadelta.org

Find the chapter listing and pick one.. at least make it semi-believable that you are a KD.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Read my first post. It states CLEARLY my question, which some has been resolved. I basically stated that I am a new member who hasn't been through a formal initiation yet. I thought that the new girls and I should have learned the rituals by now, and was wondering if it is normal to have to wait this long. Thats it. No, what does AOT mean, or what goes on behind closed doors. Simple question and I get treated like a poser.

Kathy

Unregistered-
01-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Wonderful ladies of KD, I apologize for crashing your board too!

I think it's safe to say that the subject of Ritual is taboo, especially on public message boards. Not that I condone bickering within an organization, but I can totally understand how this can be an overly sensitive subject.

There have been many instances on the individual forums and even on the general forums where a person asked an innocent question and things get out of hand.

I really truly hope that you can get this resolved with the help of the older members of your chapter. I obviously don't know what AOT means, but I'm sure that it means a lot to KD just like how I cherish the sacred meanings of AGD.

Good luck.

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 05:45 PM
I am a new member who hasn't been through a formal
initiation yet

Hmm,. just a few minutes ago you said you weren't sure if you had gone through intiation... interesting

kddani
01-21-2003, 05:47 PM
get over the AOT thing- no one's saying anything about that. you are. there's also a lot more to ritual than AOT.

You're talking in circles. First you say you've been initiated, they you say you haven't.

When did you pledge? When did you go through your degrees? What chapter are you from? Without this info we can't really tell you what's normal and what's not.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 05:48 PM
Thats the thing, I didn't ask what AOT means OohTeenyWahine. I know that it is a sacred part of being a KD. And no I am not going to share what chapter I am from now. It wouldn't matter anyway, you don't believe me.

"There have been many instances on the individual forums and even on the general forums where a person asked an innocent question and things get out of hand. "

Exactly. I am not in the wrong here.

Kathy

memolano
01-21-2003, 05:49 PM
Kathy, what chapter are you from?

If you were to read your own original post (I tipped off my online KD sisters about your post) you will see how suspicious it reads.

If you ARE in fact a sister, you would know 1) what AOT means, even if you don't recall, because ritual is reviewed often in most chapters, and 2) if you haven't been initiated you should know that uninitiated members are not allowed to say "AOT" because they DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS.

If you ARE NOT a sister, then it would explain you're getting this upset.

Jill
Gamma Kappa Chapter, 1991 Iniatiate
Univ. of Louisiana-Lafayette
CAB Membership & Panhellenic Advisor

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 05:50 PM
You refuse to give us your chapter... how very nice...

you can't even make up one for us??

I mean seriously.. you want our help.. and you want us to answer your question.. even though I am not sure what the question is.. but you are not willing to give us a little information.

Sorry.. you will just have to talk to the "Older" members... aka Active members of your chapter.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Lord help us. At the time of my first post I thought that I had been through initiation. After reading what you guys said I realized what I did must not have been a formal initiation. Its obvious now that you guys are just going to manipulate whatever I say to whatever you want it to mean. You got me, I'm a fake. Congratulations on busting me. Whatever.

Kathy

kddani
01-21-2003, 05:53 PM
there's no such thing as an informal initiation. there's no formal or informal. there's not a whole lot of things you could confuse it with.

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 05:53 PM
At the time of my first post I thought that I had been through initiation.

Circles...

So... when you originally posted... did you think you were intiated yet.. you figured that they somehow forgot to tell you ritual??

You make absolutely no sense..

You got me, I'm a fake.

At least you admit it!

memolano
01-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by KD4Life
At the time of my first post I thought that I had been through initiation. After reading what you guys said I realized what I did must not have been a formal initiation.

As opposed to "informal" initiation?

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 05:55 PM
I guess I would be upset. Being treated like a common criminal kinda makes someone upset. Funny Shannon, if I would have given you a chapter name after you gave me the web-site, would you have believed me? NO!! Whats the point.

Kathy

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Kathy, actually if you would have given me a chapter name.. I could have checked out on the website..

memolano
01-21-2003, 06:00 PM
[deep sigh]

Kathy, *I* will believe you if you just tell me what chapter you are from.

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Okay... Kathy..

I will give you what you are looking for..

AOT-- the secret meaning... the one thing that holds KD together... means...

ANGELS OF TRUTH!! There ya go.. no more hiding ... no more confusion.. you have your answer.

Happy?

kddani
01-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Damn it, and I always thought it was either

Always On Time

or

Always On Top

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Thats my whole point. You would have had to check it out just to make sure I wasn't a KD. Why? I asked a simple question. After all of this I wasn't sure I wanted to stay in KD, knowing I have sisters out there who act like this. But the majority of KD sisters treat people with respect, so I am not going to let you guys ruin my college life. I think I am going to leave this forum now. You guys can bask in the glory of having caught another one of those pesky "posers". I don't really care anymore. This is ridiculous. Goodbye.

KDShannon
01-21-2003, 06:05 PM
KDDani..

It is Angels of Truth Always on Top/Time

Kathy...

Like I said.. at least make it semi-believeable.

kddani
01-21-2003, 06:05 PM
You didn't ask a simple question. You asked a convoluted question that made no sense to any KD.

You evaded our questions, and reacted with hostility when we called out on it.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 06:10 PM
One last thing. I truly honor the fact that you guys love KD and would go to great lengths to keep the sororities rituals preserved. I will to. I feel that I have been treated unjustly, but that doesn't affect my love for KD. Hope everybody has a great year and sorry for bothering you with my question.

Kathy

Lady Pi Phi
01-21-2003, 06:45 PM
I hate to barge in here. Obviously I'm not a KD so I don't want to over step my bounds here, but Kathy, I hope you can appreciate where the fine ladies of KD are coming from. When vague questions are asked with no back ground information from you, it does seem a little suspicious.
Your question was answered in the first couple of replies. Many told you that if you were truly an initiated sister then all you would have to do is ask your chapter president in a little refresher of ritual. Simple as that. But you seemed to have been confused as to whether you were initiated or not which seemed a little suspect. Perhaps you are confusing pledging with initiation? If the only ritual you saw was pledging, then, as a pledge you have no right to know ritual until you are fully initiated..again, simple as that. Also, if you haven't been initiated after 6 months then you need to discuss with you "pledge mom" or president, or whomever and find out why. There might be a very good reason why you have not yet been initiated.

PPL,

Emily

kddani
01-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Emily-
You're more than welcome to "barge"
Thank you for your thoughful and well reasoned post. I think a lot of us were highly suspect, b/c as we said, we've been through this before. Last year a girl tricked our yahoo group for several months, since then we verify every member with our HQ.

Some people may think we're overreacting, but having being violated before, it's hard not to.

Please come back anytime Emily!

BGKdLady
01-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Thank you Emily. Kathy, I am glad that you realize that the KD's here are just protecting their ritual and tradition. I also hope that if you have questions that you will ask your chapter officers. I guess my biggest concern at this point is that, if things are as you say they are at your chapter, then procedures there need to be looked at because they do not follow KD policies.

Good luck.

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks Emily. There has been a lot of confusion here. I honestly took the advice they gave me at the start of all this. But somewhere in between it got into whether or not I was a KD or not. I admit I got fired up when being called a poser and had to PROVE myself, and I apologize for insulting anybody. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. A little while ago I did contact someone who knew how to help me and they explained everything I needed to know, and apologized to me and the rest of my friends who were waiting and confused. I also told her about my fun little adventure in the greek forum and she apoligized that I had to be put through all of this. So in the end it all worked out and I apologize again for intruding into this forum. Once again I just want to wish everybody the best. Go Kappa Delta!!

Kathy

BGKdLady
01-21-2003, 07:00 PM
Kathy,

I'm glad you got everything explained to you that you needed to know. Good luck..

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 07:03 PM
You too BGKdLady.

Kathy

Dionysus
01-21-2003, 10:22 PM
WOW KD4life and I thought I was in a dilemma.
You've gone through initiation and you still don't know your secrets, that sucks.

At least you didn't go through initiation for only a minute or so and the sorority claims you as an active member, meaning you can't join another one.

Most importantly, I want my secrets too! :mad:

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Its all worked out now. :) I talked to some people and this problem should be cleared up within the week.

Kathy

Dionysus
01-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by KD4Life
Its all worked out now. :) I talked to some people and this problem should be cleared up within the week.

Kathy

Yes, let me know what it stands for!

J/K

KD4Life
01-21-2003, 10:41 PM
I know you were just kidding, but I will honor the rituals and all of you here can rest assure that they are safe with me, when I do learn them that is.

Kathy

KD4Life
01-22-2003, 01:11 AM
"I do NOT want to add more fuel to the fire"

Then what are you doing? I don't care what you think, the problem has been solved, but here you are trying to stir stuff back up?

I don't understand.

Kathy

KD4Life
01-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Actually, there are about two posts where I stated that the problem was solved. We need to get past this and work on our attitudes toward people we don't know. You, me, and everyone else here. There is no point in rehashing what took place here the last couple of days. I think this subject needs to be dropped, whether someone thinks I am a fake or not. No matter what is said from here on out, no new thread or post is going to change anybody's opinion of me, so it is pointless to keep it going.

Kathy

KD4Life
01-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Wow, I think this thread has beat all the records for replies and views. LOL :D.

Kathy

MoxieGrrl
01-22-2003, 01:01 PM
KD4Life.....I agree. I have never seen so much action on the KD forum! :p We should post this much all the time, ladies, with less stressful topics.

KD4Life
01-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Is there a mod who can close this thread? I am not trying to keep this dragging on, but when a message is left regarding me, I usually reply. We just need to close this thread so no more can be said by anybody.

Kathy

memolano
01-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Wow, Kathy, for being so new you sure are astute to the ways of Greek Chat! :D

The Kappa Delta forum doesn't have a moderator, but it seems we may need one....

KD4Life
01-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Actually, all forums should have a mod. Keeps people from crossing the boundaries.

Kathy

Unregistered-
01-22-2003, 07:16 PM
Anyone who has a problem with this thread and wants it closed should PM or email John Hammell (the site's administrator) at john@greekchat.com

He frequently visits the site and takes care of any problems affecting it.

In addition, anyone interested in becoming a moderator for this forum (or any other forum, for that matter) can contact him via PM or email.

Hope this helps!

LauraKD
01-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Dear KD4Life,
I really hope you are a Kappa Delta. You would be one of the lucky few!!! If you are still in the new member period, I wish you the best of luck. And if you are initiated, I congratulate you.

KD Love,
Laura

kappa triangle
03-04-2009, 04:11 PM
KD4Life has probably been through first degree, which is called initiation by everyone and perhaps her NME did not make it clear that they have two more degrees of initiation. You don't learn any of the ritual until third degree so that might be why she is confused. Especially since KD4Life referred to herself as a pledge I would assume this is the case.

Unregistered-
03-04-2009, 04:14 PM
KD4Life has probably been through first degree, which is called initiation by everyone and perhaps her NME did not make it clear that they have two more degrees of initiation. You don't learn any of the ritual until third degree so that might be why she is confused. Especially since KD4Life referred to herself as a pledge I would assume this is the case.

Psst...KD4Life wrote that post over 6 years ago.

kappa triangle
03-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Kathy...]

BTW... we don't have any KD chapters in Wisconsin.

Actually, KD does have chapters in Wisconsin now. The Beloit chapter was colonized like two or three years ago and there is a chapter in Northern WI that I can't remember the name of that just became KD last Spring. They had been a local chapter but had decided to become Kappa Delta and when I met some of them at the WI/IL KD conference last April or May, they were in their new member period and were about to be initiated.

There have been 5 new KD chapters reinstated or colonized just since the beginning of the 08-09 school year so don't be so quick to judge people just on where their location is.

SydneyK
03-04-2009, 04:25 PM
When I saw this thread had been bumped, my first thought was that I wish we had a mod.

*smh

Unregistered-
03-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Actually, KD does have chapters in Wisconsin now. The Beloit chapter was colonized like two or three years ago and there is a chapter in Northern WI that I can't remember the name of that just became KD last Spring. They had been a local chapter but had decided to become Kappa Delta and when I met some of them at the WI/IL KD conference last April or May, they were in their new member period and were about to be initiated.

There have been 5 new KD chapters reinstated or colonized just since the beginning of the 08-09 school year so don't be so quick to judge people just on where their location is.

KDShannon hasn't logged on since last year. Don't be so quick to judge posters for what they wrote 6 years ago.

Leslie Anne
03-05-2009, 12:44 AM
There's no reason for this thread to be active any longer.