GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,490
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zisaacivanovoz9
» Online Users: 1,806
3 members and 1,803 guests
Cookiez17, indygphib

Old 01-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I'm a member of the illuminati. Fear me and kiss my feet.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by moe.ron
I'm a member of the illuminati.
Why haven't I seen you at meetings?
Old 01-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
Why haven't I seen you at meetings?
We did, during the tea break after the discussion on who will get the Caspian Sea Oil Reserve. You were pretty drunk at the time.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by emb021
It might be interesting if someone did the research on what orgs were founded by Masons.
From www.delts.org comes this quick bio on one of our founders:

"William R. Cunningham, 25, was only a freshman at the time Delta Tau Delta was formed. Because he was older and had become a Mason, however, he exerted much influence in the group. Cunningham, the picture of integrity, was probably responsible for much of the early language in both the Constitution and Ritual. He served as President of the Karnea in 1883. He was also a minister and held public office in the state of Washington."
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:26 PM
cutiepatootie

Wow pretty cool! I am a member also of Eastern Star i joined when i was 18 back in 1987.

I am still active on Council for job's daughters. Being a past bethel guardian. I have the battle scars to prove it

I still have all my HQ stuff. My mother still holds all my formals.

Rainbow and Job's in my town when i was active as a girl were major compitition. Both groups in my honest opinion were both snooty! the saying use to be Demolays date rainbows and marry jobies.

dzandiloo OES passed that rule like 5 yrs ago to allow them to further reach out to female members to join. a few of my jobie sisters were able to join from that rule whereas they couldn't before.

Glitter 650 is grand assembly in bakersfield this yr? grand bethel and grand assembly i swear are in the two least favorite places in california...bakersfield and fresno... i remember when we use to be in anahiem that was a blast.

Rainbow does not need to be related to a mason only sponsered by one. job's daughters you do need a blood related mason to get in ( legacy) Demolay is like rainbow only masonic sponsership. I have so many masons, shriners, OES members coming out of me i was a total shoe in since my dad, grand dad and uncles were all member of the same lodge where jobies met.

I have dated so many demolay... i was even engaged to one once
Old 01-19-2004, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Almost every member of my family is either a Mason and/or an Eastern Star. My father is the Worshipful Master of his lodge.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emb021
Uh, kind of. Those who are Masons are free to correct me.

By and large, only adult men (over 21) may become Masons.

There are various 'auxillary groups', including some aimed at youth.

You have DeMolay for boys 13-21 and Rainbow and Job's Daughters for girls 13-20. To join Rainbow or Job's Daugther's, you must be related to a member of the Masons or Eastern Star. I don't think such a requirement exists for DeMolay.

Also, there is Acacia, a college fraternity for Masons and sons of Masons.
Most states require a man to be at least 21 to petition Freemasonry, but there are some states that will allow men as young as 18 or 19 to become members.

Masonic affiliation is no longer required for membership into Acacia, though many Acacia chapters are sponsored by local Masonic lodges.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 01-19-2004, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Grand assembly is going to be in Fresno this year.... we've never had it in Bakersfield... but I"ve heard rumors it's going to start rotating there... yeah I miss the Anaheim days going to Disneyland on the time off... but it got expensive.... Yeah Fresno is really not the best city in Cali... but it's good times !!! It was really funny because my little was a rainbow girl too and the Phi Sigs like to make fun of us when we go into rainbow speak ( IE OH MI GOD I know Melissa, wasn't she a Grand Kentucky the moose year... are you going to grand cross breakfast ?) so one formal meeting we decided to show them what rainbow girls formal meant and showed up in our grand officer dresses, hoops and famous California Hair pieces....
Old 01-19-2004, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glitter650
so one formal meeting we decided to show them what rainbow girls formal meant and showed up in our grand officer dresses, hoops and famous California Hair pieces....
I remember those hoops! Texas didn't wear them, but one year the Cali Grand WA & another floor officer visited the Texas GA, and they were wearing hoops when they went down on the floor to be introduced...the whole gliding thing was pretty cool! Our grand officers march was kind of a shuffling thing w/a hip shake. Interesting to see the diff.

Job's Daughters is pretty much non-existent (if not totally) in Texas, but a couple of my assembly members got initiated when they went to OK for Supreme Assembly one year.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I took a look at the photos of the installations on the Daughters of Job websites. Interesting stuff. I like the crowns. I want a crown, too!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:27 PM

This thread is fascinating to me as I never had any contact with any of these groups while growing up. It's like there's this whole world out there I know nothing about!

I have a question for one of the Daughters of Job ladies... I have two daughters and their great grandmother and great grandfather (he is deceased) are/were members of Eastern Star and the Masons. However, their grandmother and father aren't involved in those organizations. Is this "connection" considered close enough for my daughters to join Daughters of Job when they're old enough or is it more stringent (ie like being a sorority legacy)?

I really love the idea of a service organization for teens.

Thanks for the information!
Old 01-20-2004, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

My brother was in DeMolay but I never had any desire to join.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
I had no idea Acacia was originally a Masonic fraternity. Learn something new every day!
Old 01-20-2004, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe greatgrandfather is a close enough affiliation to join Job's... I know it's enough to join Eastern Star as I am a (decidely inactive member since the age of 18) If they can't join jobs your daughters could always join Rainbow if you have an assembly close enough the organizations are VERY similar in ideals and events... although I'd say that Rainbow has a stricter dress code.... Yeah all the states LOOOVE the California glide when I wore my stuff to our Phi Sig meeting they were all impressed...
It's funny because IMO rainbow ritual is A LOT more complicated than Phi Sig ritual ...so I'll think I"m doing something wrong because there aren't enough directions...

OHH.. and I have to ask have any past rainbow girls ever REALLY wanted to say Lord help us to keep our promise after a sorority prayer ???
Old 01-20-2004, 03:39 AM
cutiepatootie

Oh most definitely great grandfather and grandmother is pretty much a given to get in. most membership of the girls in job's Daughters right now is really based on GREAT- grandparents. I was fortunate to have my dad, my grand dad and my great grand dad as my link in. But great grand fathers are for sure your connection in. It can reach all the way back to great step grand father, great uncle, , etc... In the past few yrs Job's Daughters has open membership up greatly. PM for any and all info and i can get you names and contacts for Job's Daughters back where your at.

I have always explained Jobs daughters to be a sorority for young girls in jr high and high school. Membership is based on 11-20 yrs of age. And if you want service we do plenty fo that!

like i said PM me and i can get you hooked up!

OMG the california Roll......that is the coolest thing i ever saw. I went to Grand assemby the yr i was a grand bethel girl and seeing you all walk is soo neat. I still love the calif hair pieces.

You rainbows have us jobies beat when it comes to hoops and formals. Even my grand bethel girl dress was big and scarlett!LOL. though when i was active girl back in the early to mid 8os i had my fair share of hoops, pretty coats and scarlett o hara typ e formals.

How do you all do that walk.....it is like you are all floatinon air as you glide along.