GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Iota
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,577
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annagoolet2907
» Online Users: 1,808
0 members and 1,808 guests
No Members online

Old 10-16-2007, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
Question Paddles?

I was reading on a facebook group that SAI chapters are forbidden from buying decorative paddles, and that if they do their chapter can be taken away. Does anyone know if this is true? I mean, that seems a bit harsh!

Love and Roses!

J2
ΣАІ
ΚΚΨ
University of Kentucky
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-16-2007, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Um, I've never heard that. But, paddles are realllyyyyyy expensive and I don't have that kind of money.

I don't know what exact facebook group you were viewing, but facebook groups specifically for SAI have been forbidden by Nationals. The vote took place at the last convention in 2006. I don't think you were initiated then, so you probably didn't know. It just speaks for the credibility for the people who created the group. And, the fact that obviously, they can't follow directions either.

------{@
Old 10-17-2007, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
haha really? I didn't know that!

The group has 3,000 + members and they had a discussion about how the convention stated that the coat of arms couldn't be used on the website, but they didn't mention any thing about that.

I figured that what they really meant is if you were to actually paddle someone that you can get your chapter taken away, which, is obvious.

J2
ΣАІ
ΚΚΨ
University of Kentucky
Old 10-21-2007, 06:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to manda_sai_kz Send a message via Yahoo to manda_sai_kz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Um, I've never heard that. But, paddles are realllyyyyyy expensive and I don't have that kind of money.

I don't know what exact facebook group you were viewing, but facebook groups specifically for SAI have been forbidden by Nationals. The vote took place at the last convention in 2006. I don't think you were initiated then, so you probably didn't know. It just speaks for the credibility for the people who created the group. And, the fact that obviously, they can't follow directions either.

------{@
On topic:
Paddles seem like they refer to hazing, which...obviously is forbidden. So I personally think its best to stay as far away from hazing, or anything to do with it,as possible.

Off topic:
http://nmsu.facebook.com/topic.php?u...096&topic=1644
and
http://nmsu.facebook.com/topic.php?u...096&topic=1638
(Please let me know if those links don't work)

I agree with this woman's post on the 'sub rosa' issue.
"Post #10
I was also at convention, as well. As I feared, that statement was largely misinterpreted by many chapter members, and was clarified by several NEB members later. Being in contact with other sisters online is OK, as is a community group such as this. It's discussing fraternity business on the site (such as we are doing right now) that she wants us to avoid. College students cannont be expected to just meet SAI's in person- I know I don't have the kind of $$ to fly from city to city to see if I can make SAI friends in person. The point of the groups is to make it easier to get in contact with other members.

I have personally gained many new friends through this Facebook page, and I think it would be remiss of the NEB to request us to remove it. An open frum like this is valuable for inter-chapter relationships, where we can make our membership known, and share our experiences with other sisters. As long as our discussions stick to who, what, where, and when, and exclude chapter business, then we are fully within the parameters set forth by the NEB. I think it is up to the members to uphold the constitution with honor, exhibit some degree of self-control, and refrain from discussion of fraternity business. It is not hard, and does not require withdrawl from the the group to do so. I will continue my membership here, and I encourage others to do so" [Name and date of post edited out]

I'm a member of the SAI facebook group.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a member of the FB group too... :-)

I think its great that there are 3000 sisters up there.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ReddestRose1903
our chapter has a group, im a member of the national group, and then have greek applications where you can have your fraternity on the page. you should definitly not post about ritual, private business, etc. but ive found them to be useful like the forums on her for ideas and advice. basically use the rule of thumb of if you think its private dont even begin to discuss it.

as far as paddles go, its considered hazing to use them or require members to buy them. i know some people that have one for decorative and just the fact that its another sai item! lol

Last edited by ReddestRose1903; 05-19-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

so it's okay to have them as long as they werent a forced thing for like a little to make for a big?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

We were told that we could have them as long as the handle part was removed and they were "Plaques". It was also suggested to us that we do something non paddle shaped like a treble clef shaped or music note shaped plaque.

J2
ΣАІ
ΚΚΨ
University of Kentucky
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

In the Vice President of Membership papers that I received paddles were on the list of No-No's. Upon further investigation I found that the largest issue our organization had with paddles that were not being physically used was the financial OBLIGATION of the paddle. We don't use them in our chapter as a mandatory activity but there are many of us who love our paddles dearly and display them proudly. If you are really worried and want a reliable answer, call headquarters!

I can not express accurately in words how amazing out current National Executive Board is. I went to a weave II session over the summer and spent quite a few up close and personal hours with Liz Nordling, they really do want to hear from us as collegiate members and are more than happy to answer any and all questions you could ever think of (and you a few that you never thought of before)

If you are looking for a craft to replace the paddle, I am thinking about doing shelves (painting drawing stickering etc) that the lils can give to their bigs...