GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,195
4 members and 2,191 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, Xidelt

Old 01-19-2004, 11:22 AM
cutiepatootie

how many greek s come from a masonic youth background?

I was cuirious in greek life everything and everyone has some sort of a connection. I am curious how many greeks here on GC spent time in masonic youth organizations like Job's Daughters, Rainbow and or Demolay?

I am a Past Honored Queen, Majority member, Past Grand Bethel girl and Past Bethel Guardian for Job's Daughters and a majority member of Rainbow
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2004, 11:28 AM

My dad was and still is very active in Masons and the Shrine, but I never joined Rainbow because the girls in it in my town were the snooty beeyotches who snubbed me in church & at school. I didn't feel the need to spend any more time with them.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a former Rainbow Girl - Past Worthy Advisor, Past Grand Representative, Majority Member. Also served on my Assembly's Advisory Board. I joined Eastern Star 2 years ago.

I think the Masonic groups have a lot to offer.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:05 PM

My dad is a Mason, as was his brother and also my grandfather. I am not. Mason frends ask why -- I have no answer.

It is interesting to note, though, than MANY founders of the early fraternities were from Masonic backgrounds. That includes the founder who wrote our Ritual. Because of that, many fraternity rituals are supposedly (I'm not an expert -- just what I've read) very much like the Masonic initiation.

ETA it just occurred to me that both my Grandmother and Step Mother were Eastern Stars, as well.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 01-19-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
So rainbow etc are auxillary groups? You are not actually masons? Kind of like Fraternity little sisters before they got banned?
Old 01-19-2004, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
many fraternity rituals are supposedly (I'm not an expert -- just what I've read) very much like the Masonic initiation.
That is supposed to be a primary characteristic of Era II fraternities (1865 to mid-1890s.) Some Era I fraternities have masonic influences in their ritual, and of course, Acacia (Era III) does.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
So rainbow etc are auxillary groups? You are not actually masons? Kind of like Fraternity little sisters before they got banned?
Uh, kind of. Those who are Masons are free to correct me.

By and large, only adult men (over 21) may become Masons.

There are various 'auxillary groups', including some aimed at youth.

You have DeMolay for boys 13-21 and Rainbow and Job's Daughters for girls 13-20. To join Rainbow or Job's Daugther's, you must be related to a member of the Masons or Eastern Star. I don't think such a requirement exists for DeMolay.

Also, there is Acacia, a college fraternity for Masons and sons of Masons.
Section 71 Chair
Old 01-19-2004, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
My dad is a Mason, as was his brother and also my grandfather. I am not. Mason frends ask why -- I have no answer.

It is interesting to note, though, than MANY founders of the early fraternities were from Masonic backgrounds. That includes the founder who wrote our Ritual. Because of that, many fraternity rituals are supposedly (I'm not an expert -- just what I've read) very much like the Masonic initiation.
I do know that some individuals have studied fraternity rituals and mason rituals. But realize that the masons were much larger in past times then today. Much of the secrecy ideas that exist in GLOs comes from the Masons (secret handshakes, secret passwords, the rituals and ritual items, etc).

It might be interesting if someone did the research on what orgs were founded by Masons. My Fraternity's founder (who also wrote our first rituals) was a Mason.
Section 71 Chair
Old 01-19-2004, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a Rainbow Majority Member, former Worthy Advisor, and Grand Cross...but no Grand offices (does being in Grand Choir for a couple of years count??hee.).

No-Rainbow Girls are not Masons...only adult men can be Masons. I wouldn't say Rainbow/Job's Daughters are like little sister groups--more like daughter groups....but very organized & with their own governing body, ritual & procedures. The International Order of the Rainbow for Girls was founded by a Master Mason, and based on Christian principles, but it is above all, a service organization. The initiation ritual became open to parents of women being initiated who's parents were not members of Masonic orgs back in the '90s.

The ritual is surprisingly complex & beautiful for one performed by teenage girls.... I'm sad that Rainbow is shrinking b/c I think it was really good for me. I hope it is still around when my daughter is old enough to join

33Girl-its funny you said the Rainbow Girls in your town were snooty...in my town, we were the polar opposites-normal girls, no cheerleaders in the group...you would have liked us!

p.s. Rainbow is for unmarried girls 11-20. You do not have to be related to a Mason or Eastern Star to join--you can be sponsored by 2 members of those orgs (which is how I joined) & petition for membership as a "Friend of a Rainbow Girl."
Old 01-19-2004, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a PHQ and majority member. I haven't had any Jobies contact in decades. (Still have my PHQ pin, the Bible from my installation, and the jewelled crown from my HQ doll, though.)

AGD initiation robes are similar to IOJD robes. I remember showing my chapter sisters how to tie the cords the "right" (=Jobie) way.

I never joined Eastern Star, though. I am ambivalent about it and the other Masonic women's organizations that require relationship to a Master Mason (husband, father, grandfather, whatever) for membership. My college fraternity was founded by women, for women. I understand that Eastern Star (etc.) were designed to make Masonry a "family" experience but it bothers me that men are integral to Eastern Star (there's a Worthy Patron for each Worthy Matron) but women aren't integral to Blue Lodges.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
beeyotches

hahahahahahaha. Sorry, couldn't help it.

My dad (AKL) did Demolay, and his dad was a Mason.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined Cali rainbow when I was 14 and LOVED it I am a 6 time past worthy advisor, hold a grand cross, held the grand office of choir director, and sang in the grand choir once, GOOD TIMES !! I'm going to be on the advisory board soon and I'm attending California grand assembly pretty soon.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
I was a member of Job's Daughters when I lived in California.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't, but one of my best friends from elementary/middle/early high school was really active in Job's daughters. In middle school she wanted me to join, but my parents were against it and I think my lack of Masonic heritage might have been a deterrent.

I did go to one of her installation ceremonies, though, and whenever I've run into her since college she's always liked hearing my sorority stories because they remind her of being a Jobie.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDAlum
I never joined Eastern Star, though. I am ambivalent about it and the other Masonic women's organizations that require relationship to a Master Mason (husband, father, grandfather, whatever) for membership.
I'm exactly the same way. However, 2 years ago, I found out that Majority members of Rainbow/JD w/o Masonic relations can now join Eastern Star (rule changed a few years ago). I don't think I will join though, b/c my husband isn't interested and I wouldn't want to be a WM w/some random guy as WP...