View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a Rainbow Majority Member, former Worthy Advisor, and Grand Cross...but no Grand offices (does being in Grand Choir for a couple of years count??hee.).

No-Rainbow Girls are not Masons...only adult men can be Masons. I wouldn't say Rainbow/Job's Daughters are like little sister groups--more like daughter groups....but very organized & with their own governing body, ritual & procedures. The International Order of the Rainbow for Girls was founded by a Master Mason, and based on Christian principles, but it is above all, a service organization. The initiation ritual became open to parents of women being initiated who's parents were not members of Masonic orgs back in the '90s.

The ritual is surprisingly complex & beautiful for one performed by teenage girls.... I'm sad that Rainbow is shrinking b/c I think it was really good for me. I hope it is still around when my daughter is old enough to join

33Girl-its funny you said the Rainbow Girls in your town were snooty...in my town, we were the polar opposites-normal girls, no cheerleaders in the group...you would have liked us!

p.s. Rainbow is for unmarried girls 11-20. You do not have to be related to a Mason or Eastern Star to join--you can be sponsored by 2 members of those orgs (which is how I joined) & petition for membership as a "Friend of a Rainbow Girl."