GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   how many greek s come from a masonic youth background? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=45382)

cutiepatootie 01-20-2004 03:41 AM

What shocked me si the fact that Delta Zeta and Eatern Star has had a connection like arcaia and the masons...blew my mind wheni read that.

AGDAlum 01-20-2004 06:57 AM

It's funny because IMO rainbow ritual is A LOT more complicated than Phi Sig ritual ...so I'll think I"m doing something wrong because there aren't enough directions...

Assuming that Rainbow ritual is very similar to Jobies (both being derived from Freemasonry), a great big chunk of the meeting is ritual. In Jobies it's the story of Job.... "remember the pious and prosperous Job, passing in peace over his vast estates." And "in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job, and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren." Jemimah, Keziah, and Keren-happuch are the daughters.

BTW, where do "Boy Builders" fit into the lineup of Masonic organizations?

KOZeta 01-20-2004 09:46 AM

Funny you should ask...I was a Rainbow girl & my little brother is in Demolay, and he wants to join a fraternity. I loved the grandeur of IORG, and I miss that in my sorority now. Our rituals are amazing, but all the Masonic Orders seem to have stuck to their roots & retained their amazing complexity & beauty.

Thanks!

dzandiloo 01-20-2004 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Glitter650
OHH.. and I have to ask have any past rainbow girls ever REALLY wanted to say Lord help us to keep our promise after a sorority prayer ???
LOL! That is soooo true!

BTW-there is a task force in Texas to loosen up the dress code a bit. Don't know if it's gone into force, but it looks good to me (dress pants will be allowed, and formals don't have to be white anymore...just no dark colors).

cutiepatootie 01-20-2004 01:28 PM

A friend of mine from california was on the Job's daughters team to try and institute more bethels down that way but i guess it really did not get up and going. I use to live in Oklahoma and was very active there too.

Dress code issues...... I wish they would loosen it up some. I mean dress pants is good but these old timers ( i mean the old ,old ones) will not change a dang thing ...and you wonder why these kindof groups are fledgling

Glitter650 01-20-2004 10:09 PM

Actually Cali rainbow just loosened up on their dress code... NICE NICE dress pants are ok for regular meetings.. but formals must be worn to initiation meetings and installation dresses can also now be "tea length" (to the ankles) rather than 2 inches from the floor... Cali rainbow can wear color as long as it's not too dark... no super dark blue or green or purple basically... and people complain about dressing for formal sorority meetings. :rolleyes:
As far as the "gliding" in a hoop... I could tell you... but then I"d have to kill you ;)
Nah... really it's just making sure you walk with your whole foot... heel through toe and making sure to mind your posture. It is impressive though when you see that floor work done on the grand floor with about 40 ladies all gliding and making formations and such...=== getting all nostalgic === SIGH

pirate00 01-21-2004 10:57 AM

Whoa!!! Time for some clarification

Quote:

Originally posted by James
So rainbow etc are auxillary groups? You are not actually masons? Kind of like Fraternity little sisters before they got banned?
Members of Rainbow Girls, Order of Demolay, Job's Daughters, Daughters of Isis, Order of Amaranth, Knights of Pythagoras, and the Order of the Eastern Star, for those who weren't sure, are NOT Masons! They are members of appendant bodies of Freemasonry.

True, minute and particular elements of Masonic language and order are found in fraternity and sorority ritual, but they are in no way similar to the rituals used in a Masonic Lodge. Being a Master Mason myself, I felt I should bring about some truth on this subject. If there are any other questions anyone has (without trying to seek out secrets, because I certainly will not answer them) respond here or PM me.

cutiepatootie 01-21-2004 12:41 PM

For someone who has been around this my entire life( 34 yrs to be exact) we never would of and did not seek to find out secerts or did i ever mention and i believe i can safely say no one tried to say these groups share the same elements the masons do nor did we say we were masons. If your a master mason then you know these groups are derived from the masons... that is what i was saying.

Glitter650 01-21-2004 01:41 PM

James to simply answer the question... masonic organizations are basically *kinda* Like NPC... serperate organizations with their own traditions and ritual... but all in one big happy family that work together to help out one another :D

pirate00 01-21-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cutiepatootie
For someone who has been around this my entire life( 34 yrs to be exact) we never would of and did not seek to find out secerts or did i ever mention and i believe i can safely say no one tried to say these groups share the same elements the masons do nor did we say we were masons. If your a master mason then you know these groups are derived from the masons... that is what i was saying.
Cutie, I didn't mean to say anyone was trying to step into unchartered territory and trying to obtain any secrets. I was merely giving clarification, but I didn't mean to come off harsh. If I did, I apologize to you and everyone else. My offer still stands if anyone has questions about Freemasonry, they are welcome to ask and I will answer them as far as I am allowed to do so.

IOJDbethel53 01-21-2004 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by emb021
Uh, kind of. Those who are Masons are free to correct me.

By and large, only adult men (over 21) may become Masons.

There are various 'auxillary groups', including some aimed at youth.

You have DeMolay for boys 13-21 and Rainbow and Job's Daughters for girls 13-20. To join Rainbow or Job's Daugther's, you must be related to a member of the Masons or Eastern Star. I don't think such a requirement exists for DeMolay.

Also, there is Acacia, a college fraternity for Masons and sons of Masons.

I thought it is interesting how many people are on Masonic groups to begin with. they teach leadership and team work just like the same groups we are in. but there is one correction Job's Daughters is for girls 11-20 not 13-20, i am a Past Honored Queen and Majority member in Job's Daughters and i love how things are similar to APO.

NinjaPoodle 01-21-2004 05:53 PM

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...jobs+daughters

Tom Earp 01-21-2004 05:57 PM

Non Active 32nd Degree Mason.

My Heart is with LXA!:)

cutiepatootie 01-21-2004 09:51 PM

Tom your a mason? How cool :D Knew i liked ya!:D

Glitter650 04-06-2004 01:26 AM

I just got back from grand assembly in Fresno and I must say... I MISS BEING A RAINBOW GIRL !!! I miss being active Phi Sig too... =( I HATE HATE HATE being "old" Majority ??!! Alumni ??!! Grrrrr... :( :( :( :( I'm having SUCH a bad case of Peter Pan syndrome lately....